Supplemental feed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, Feb 8, 2009.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    All through the winter my chickens have refused to venture out in the snow. There egg quality form very golden yokes has gone to pale yellow yokes without much taste. What can I feed them to get the taste and color back?

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    We feed greens(water cress, spinich, carrot tops, etc) and the yolks are still tasty and orange. We also give some low fat cottage cheese ocassionally..

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    cooked squash, greens, like leafy dark greens...spinach, radish tops, kale, ect. Also black oil sunflower seeds. Just hit the produce area at the store and look for the darker colors.

Just a few suggestions, I'm sure you will hear many more great ideas.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Mine love Kale and Spinach greens in winter when there is too much snow to let them roam. Kale is sold in large bags at our grocery stores so I can get two or three days of use from a bag.

5. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I never thought of vegie tops. I have been feeding cabbage and carrots and no change. Do you cut them up or just toss them in whole? I have seen the produce people peeling off the outer leaves to make the vegies look better and placing them in a garbage bag. I should ask for them, it might be a free source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by