Supplemental heat in grow out pen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RoseViewFarm, Apr 26, 2017.

1. RoseViewFarm

RoseViewFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2017
    Central WI
    I am setting up my first grow out pen, it is a horse stall that I have covered in hex mesh to keep anyone from flying out. It is located within a secure horse barn, so I am not too horribly concerned with predators at this time. My question is, the chicks who will be moving into this 12x9 grow out pen, are about 5-6 weeks of age. They are almost fully feathered except the cockerels (who look naked...).
    I have purchased a chicken mat heater to provide heat to any chick that gets chilly. The problem is, we are located in Wisconsin and for the next two weeks the nights are supposed to be in the mid to low thirties. Is the chicken mar heater going to be warm enough for the not so feathered cockerels? I really need to shift them out of the brooder that they have outgrown... Plus I have more chicks moving into the outside brooder out of the baby brooder which will hopefully be filled again after this hatch.
    I refuse to use a heat light in my barn (I will not risk all my horses and chickens...).
    Thanks in advance!

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I live in Mn and have no heat after 4 weeks. They can snuggle..Good luck on whatever you decide.

3. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Fully feathered birds will be fine in a barn.

4. RoseViewFarm

Mar 21, 2017
    Central WI

Excellent. Thank you for letting me know that! We just moved from Ohio so this is our first go around with the huge weather swings here. I will likely just move them out!

I'm not concerned about the fully feathered ones, it's these darn Orpington cockerels that are massive but still covered in down.

5. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Search mamma heating pad. Or chicago brooder
    Good luck

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    As long as they are dry and out of the wind they should be fine.

Have they been inside a warm house with a heat lamp?
    I try to 'harden them off' of the heat early(3-4wks) and keep brooder room as cool as possible.
    Makes moving them outside easier.

Also use a 'huddle box', put it in the brooder after turning off the heat(you might have to 'persuade' them to use it) then move it out to the coop with them.
    Cardboard box with a bottom a little bigger than what they need to cuddle next to each other without piling and tall enough for them to stand in.
    Cut an opening on one side a couple inches from bottom and big enough for 2-3 of them to go thru at once.
    Fill the bottom with some pine shavings an inch or so deep.
    This will give them a cozy place to sleep/rest, block any drafts and help hold their body heat in.

7. RoseViewFarm

Mar 21, 2017
    Central WI
    This batch has been in a instulated office inside the barn with a heat plate. They all seemed to fair well overnight and are happily enjoying their upgraded space. I do have a batch that will be moving out eventually that have been in the house under lights. They are almost 4 weeks. They will move out to the ingested office for a few weeks then out to join the others. I will get them accustomed to a huddle box. That's a great idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by