supplemental heat

Discussion in 'Geese' started by runningkaren, Sep 4, 2009.

1. runningkaren

runningkaren Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    South Central PA
    I have a 6-week-old chinese weeder gosling. He is not yet fully feathered down his back. We are reaching night time temps around 50 degrees. Does anyone know if he needs heat at night at this stage? I have been bringing him into my greenhouse at night (in a large cat kennel) but he makes a royal mess! I would love to leave him outside all night (he has a small doghouse he could shelter in) but I am worried that 50 degrees is still too cold until he is fully feathered.

2. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Does the dog house have a lockable door? If not he's going to be killed by a coon, owl, coyote, fox...the list goes on and on. I would not leave him out in the dog house unless it had a lockable door.

I think giving him a heat source would be a good idea. Once he feathers out...it's a different story.

3. runningkaren

May 13, 2008
    South Central PA
    Thanks for your thoughts. No, it does not have a lockable door but it is inside a large fenced-in dog kennel that has a gate and roof. I did bring him in tonight. Any idea of the minimum temp a 6-week-old gosling can handle?

4. jojo@rolling acres farm

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I'm going to send you a pm...stand by.

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    [email protected] acres farm :

Does the dog house have a lockable door? If not he's going to be killed by a coon, owl, coyote, fox...the list goes on and on. I would not leave him out in the dog house unless it had a lockable door.

I think giving him a heat source would be a good idea. Once he feathers out...it's a different story.

Just be aware that a heat source will slow feather developement, the more heat the slower feathers develope.​

6. jojo@rolling acres farm

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I think with only one baby I'd give a heat sorce or just keep putting him in at night until the feathers are all in. I was more concerned about the security issue. A determined Coon can get into almost anything.

7. runningkaren

May 13, 2008
    South Central PA
    Thanks everybody. I did put him in again last night. At least he's safe and warm. The greenhouse is in the 60s at night so I don't bother with supplement heat. I do wish all his feathers would come in soon, though!

8. jojo@rolling acres farm

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the update! Good luck with the little creature...they really are wonderful little things. His feathers will be in before you know it - good luck with everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by