Supplemental Heat

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Frenchman Creek, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Frenchman Creek

Frenchman Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

I have only IB mature peafowl who are going through their fourth winter here in Northern New York. They all seem to be doing fine as their house is large with two feet of straw on the floor. They are closed in at night but have access to large pens during the day. Our winters are always cold but last year and this year have been brutal with the snow, cold and winds.

I have never considered supplemental heat due to the fire danger and the fact that the pea house is in close proximity to other poultry houses and livestock housing and thus a fire could be devastating.

With that in mind I thought that if there came a time that I felt supplemental heat was required I could use ome advise from those on here who use it.

I am wondering what type of heat do you use, where do you place it ie: suspended from ceiling or secured on the walls and what form of protection you use to keep the bedding or tail feathers from catching on fire.

Thank you in advance for any replies. FC.

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    We have a heater in this small barn for our green and young spalding Peas, our 2 senior citizens are also in there during winter. We used a ceiling mounted quartz heater that points down toward the perch. It is plugged into a thermo cube that is programmed to kick the heater on when the temp drops to 40 and off when it rises to 45. This is our 3rd or 4th winter and we've had no problems with it. We use large flake pine shavings as bedding, and the heater is about 4-5' above the birds backs when they are roosting. It does have a wire cage across the front so a spooked bird will not hit the heating elements.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Frenchman Creek

Frenchman Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you DylansMom. That is interesting about the quartz heater. Never thought about that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by