Supplemental Income

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by aidenbaby, May 6, 2009.

1. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Normally, I do daycare for 2 other families in my home for income. One of those families is going to use a teenage relative in the summer though. This, obviously, creates a large dent in my income come summer. I was thinking of doing pet/farm sitting. I'm wondering what kind of rates would you guys suggest? I was thinking along the lines of charging around $2 per animal per day for pets and around $8 per hour of labor for farm animals. I just haven't done this in so long I don't know if this is too low or too high.

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    My helper charges $10 per visit to potty my dogs and check on everybody.

3. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:There's a lady here in my neighborhood who does that. She charges 25 per day to feed, water and let out any livestock you may have. I think if you have more than 25 animals she has a surcharge. If she's cleaning stalls it's 10 dollars per stall unless you have a tractor and I forget what she charges for that.

4. animal nut

animal nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    I dod sit on a regularly an I charge $12 a day.

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have paid $20 per day for 4 Horses , and my chickens. The dogs generally go in the backyard with Large Self Feeders & Waterers. This includes Feed & Water twice a day plus turning horses in and out and stalls.

6. mtcougar832

mtcougar832 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    Northwest Montana
    Make sure to cover your gas costs. It would be good to have something in writing in case something bad happens while the owner is gone. Sounds like a cool idea though.

7. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    We hired a critter sitter a couple times a few years ago. She would come twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. She would let our 2 dogs and the chickens out in the morning and come back in the evening to put them back in. She'd throw the ball for the dogs for a bit too and make sure everyone was fed and watered. She charged $30 a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by