1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Supplemental light for the winter?? Type of light??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Skibunny6703, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Skibunny6703

Skibunny6703 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    Hi I want to give the birds a supplemental light but what is ideal?? I got rope lighting to go around the inside of the coop will that be sufficient to trick them? Or should I just use Led christmas lights?? Or Should I stick with a traditional LED 20 W bulb??

I also have an infarred bulb that will go on onlt when the temp dropps below 34degrees. ( plugged into a thermoblock outlet.) I don't want them relying on the heat light but i do want to give them something to avoid frost bite.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Where do you live? If it isn't way below zero I wouldn't worry about frostbite unless you don't have sufficient ventilation to get rid of the humidity.

Any light bright enough to barely read a newspaper by at roost height is sufficient.
    If I add light, I use a compact fluorescent (13 watt). If it gets cold enough that it doesn't come on, I switch to an incandescent.

3. Skibunny6703

Skibunny6703 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    Thank you.. I was hoping the rope lighting would work instead of a light bulb. I have the rope lighting going around the ceiling of the hen house for a few hours in the evening and an hour or two early dusk. I have cool white LED Christmas lights around the outside of my entire coop just for vanity purposes. I have a few reels of the cool led lights because i stupidly didn't look at the colors. Actually it was before LED had Warm white. They are on a Dusk timer but go off after 6 hours. I am in Massachusetts and we do get a few days where it gets below in the morning and evenings. I have friends in the Berkshires and their chickens have gotten frostbite. I am not too worried because my neighbor's chickens rough it for the last 20 yrs on a 60 W that stays on 24 hrs a days for some heat. So technically nothing because their coop holds 25 chickens and is a walk in and a mear light like that might not give enough for such a huge coop. Mine on the other hand is a 4x4 space with 3 nesting boxes and 3 roosts plus an open

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The LEDs may be fine if the total output allows the intensity I described and would probably be cheaper to run.
    Except for a few Mediterranean roosters with big combs and wattles in below zero temps I haven't put heat on chickens in 60 years. No frostbite.
    I have big openings and the wind blows right through. No humidity buildup and no frostbite.
    It also doesn't get an ammonia buildup. Warm and moist is a recipe for disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by