Supplemental Lighting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BallardDuck, Sep 13, 2011.

1. BallardDuck

BallardDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Ballard in Seattle
    Okay, I've been reading up on the lengthening of "daylight" hours by using artificial light with timers, but I've run into, maybe, a problem!
    When I first got my ducklings my Mom told me to leave a light on for them at night, that it would help keep them calm. I have done that continuously since I got them. My question is: am I stressing them by doing this? And, I suppose now it would be difficult/stressful on them to reduce that?
    I have 1 Khaki Campbell and 2 White Layers; they're all 16 weeks old.

2. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:You should be fine with switching. They will get used to it over a week or so...the supplemental lighting. They will be fine at night...ours are.

3. Oddyse

Oddyse Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    Ducks have amazing night vision! Also , from my experience, ducks will sleep at night (not all night, but they know when the humans are sleeping). When I have to be up early for work (05:00) its still dark outside, and my ducks are ALWAYS sleeping when I go down and see them. But yeah, I would suggest switching the light off for them now. You could always check on them from time to time to see if there stressed but my experience would say they will be ok. Especially at 16 weeks. [​IMG]

4. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Probably time to take them off the all-nighter light. If you're concerned any about keeping them warm during the cold winter months, you could always go infrared bulb (available at local feed or pet stores) or even ceramic bulbs. But even then I might only have that on during the coldest of the cold days/nights as if there's ever a power outage, they might have a serious time adjusting to the cold. If you didn't do turn it on every day/night during the winter, they'd have a fighting chance during those extreme cold snaps.

5. dorsetduckowner

dorsetduckowner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2011
    Ahh duckies with a night light, bless em.

best only let them have natural light as unnatural light plays havoc with their daily rhythms.

Their lives revolve around light hours, it affects their hormones and all sorts.

Leaving a light on 24 hours a day is actually harmful for them.

Natural light all the way, no night light at all.

zo
    x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by