supplementing pigeon food

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by L&Schickens, Aug 26, 2010.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I am quickly realizing that feeding 80 pigeons is not cheap. I am feeding Pigeon A at nearly $20 a 50 pound bag. Pigeon B is not much cheaper. Can I add cracked corn to it or layer pellets or hen scratch to make it go further?

Thanks!!!

2. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    Never feed them cracked corn, but how about adding some thawed out bags of vegatables? or gamebird feed.

3. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Good to know about the cracked corn. I will have to see about the veggies. I know Game Bird is expensive also. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    No its only like 14 bucks

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You can add whole corn in the winter. I have sometimes used 12% protein wild bird feed (Tractor Supply) for non breeding birds. Pigeon feed is pricey and getting more pricey all of the time. Do not skimp on quality when breeding or flying your birds (or during the molt.) I can sometimes get a slightly better price if I buy in quantity. Some people feed gamebird or layer pellets, but they result in copious foul smelling feces. The birds do fine, but the loft is a mess and stinks.

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Cracked corn won't kill them, but it is more risky. It can scratch the insides and make it easier for canker to set up. And mold/bacteria has an easier time growing and hiding in cracked corn than whole corn. So if you're going to add something to it, then pellets, wild bird seed, small whole corn, or any other mixes like that will work. Whenever we can't afford to make the trip to get pigeon feed, then we get Gamecock feed from the feedstore in town.

What kind of feeders do you use for them? If you use an open dish, then they like to get in there and pick through their food, slinging out pieces they like less. Using something like this will prevent them from wasting as much, which'll save you money.
    http://www.pigeonsuppliesplus.com/photo2.html
    Also, taking out the feeder at night will prevent rats/mice from being attracted to the food and contaminating the loft and eating the feed.

About the pellets and gamebird feed making smelly droppings. That's because it has a lot of protien in it. The messiness is probably from all the excess supplements. The pellets are designed to have everything they need in it, so if you give them any additional supplements in the water, or even grit, then it can make the droppings more messy. But since you'll be mixing it with seeds and grain, grit is a must. An all-pellet diet would be different.

7. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    I Feed Only Laying Pellets For Chickens Birds Do Well On Them There Is Loose Droppings That Is A Draw Back Makes A Mess In Nests And Lofts No Grit Needed Also Went To Pellets For My Norwich Croppers Having Sour Crop And Never Change To Anything Else

8. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Thank you all for the replies. what great advice! I have been feeding them in an open feeder, and I do pull it out at night, but that is so they get use to being fed at the same time every day for when I start flying them.
    The lady I bought my flock from also gave me all of her feed. she had cracked corn and layer pellets only. I bought pigeon feed shortly after I brought them home, but I noticed that the birds never seemed to eat the layer pellets anyway. I ended up feeding that to my chickens.
    They seem to like the pigeon feed quite well and only leave the smallest seeds. I don't know what they are, but there is a lot of them. I dump them out and add it to the doves feed. They don't seem to be as picky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by