1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Supplements and Nutrients?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SuseyQ, Feb 25, 2016.

1. SuseyQ

SuseyQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2016
    Do any of you folks add anything into your feed or supplement your feed with nutrients or supplements? If so what do you use?

Thank You,
    SuseyQ

2. Twoandhelp

Twoandhelp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    I just started adding 1T apple cider vinegar to every Gallon of water because Some people swear by it. We'll see...

3. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    Twoandhelp,
    I've heard of doing that. I'm not sure what it's supposed to do exactly.

Thank you for sharing,
    SuseyQ

4. Chris102

Chris102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Conroe, TX
    I add Spirulina and Bee Pollen. I've seen a HUGE difference in my birds since using the Spirulina! Brighter feathers, higher fertility, lower chick mortality, faster molts...the list goes on! The bee pollen is a newer addition, so I can't yet say much about its effectiveness, the birds love it though. Like @Twoandhelp , I also use ACV. Raw, organic and unfiltered. I've been using it for years and one things for sure, it definitely helps keep my birds water cleaner.

5. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    Chris,
    I suspect the Spirulina would be a good addition. I've heard about the ACV, how much do you use? I know to get the kind with the "mother". What do you expect the bee pollen to do for them?

Thank You,
    Sue

6. NewhAtch3r

NewhAtch3r Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    What Feed does every one use I can only find chick starter for chickens available to me how can i beef this up for my quails?

7. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    I'm in the same boat, though I have special ordered turkey starter. I know mealy worms are good and fish meal, but you can't add too much or it's supposed to make the eggs taste fishy. I also know you should give them oyster shells for extra calcium. There are seeds you can add, peanuts, earth worms etc. I'm by no means n expert since I haven't raised any quails to date, but this is what I've learned from others to date.

SusyQ

8. NewhAtch3r

Feb 27, 2016
    Ive heard maybe chicken eggs cooked and ground provide protein Im just wondering if theres a good website to order from thats basically a good price so its not so much work for me. I was also reading about using a coffee grinder to grind. At this point I'm just hoping my eggs will hatch =/ I skeptical since its my first hatch but I just don't want to be unprepared for it. But if some one could confirm chicken eggs cooked and ground up mixed in with chick starter would work that would be great.

9. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    Newhatch3r,
    I've heard about using the chicken eggs too. Some peel them but I'd just use them whole if I did it. The shell can be used for calcium so I don't believe it will hurt them. It seems a somewhat expensive way to do it. You could try meal worms or other insects/bugs.

I'm totally new at this too and haven't yet received my first eggs. Let me know how your hatch goes. I'm trying to be as prepared as possible too. I'd hate to loss a large number of good quality chicks.

How many eggs will you be trying to hatch? Where did you get them from? I think I'll be using a blender for my things, but a coffee grinder could work. Just make sure it's not the one you use for your coffee. A spice grinder could work too if you have one of those.

Good Luck,
    SuseyQ

10. NewhAtch3r

Feb 27, 2016
    I got them from ebay.... lol yeah I staggered hatch a little I got a 24 pack and a 12 pack from 2 different people. I'm using a homemade incubator on the first night the temp rose to 106 eggs were temping on shell at 104 for ones in the middle ones on edge were fine at 99. I'm kinda expecting expecting a poor hatch rate but I did put my other 12 eggs in after having problems and haven't had any since I'm only 3.5 days in on my first set and about 2 days on other one. I will post results hope you do to how many days in are you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by