Supplements for laying duck hens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Childwanderer, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Childwanderer

Childwanderer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Hiya!
    A couple of my ducks have apparently stopped laying after having gone about day without feed other than foraging. (my duck sitter did not know what to do when we run out of duck food and cannot get anymore right away. The rules have been clarified and I am confident that we WON'T have that problem again.) Is there anything I can do to get them going again besides making sure that they have plenty of food and water? Supplements maybe? Perhaps they will start up again when spring comes? They were hatched this past march and the most eggs we have ever gotten in one day is eight out of ten ducks. Now we are averaging at five a day.

2. Childwanderer

Jun 16, 2012
    They free range during the day and once I found one of them laying an egg in the garden at about 9:45 am. It is possible that I am just missing some eggs out in the woods somewhere.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You might be missing some, but food stress can cause them to stop laying, and even may accelerate molting, in which case she will just cycle through all that and begin laying when she is ready again.

Is she otherwise feeling okay?

4. Childwanderer

Jun 16, 2012
    Otherwise there does not seem to be any problem. Thank you for the response! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by