Suppli Telephono

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Apr 19, 2009.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

This was something I was taught to make in a Mediterranean Regional class in school, the Sicilian place I worked in would have these on the menu from time to time. They are some work but well worth it... Please be sure to follow very closely the method for making the risotto - being it is a starchy stubby grained rice adding small bits of hot stock at a time and stirring frequently is what draws the starch out of the grains.

Delicious and unusual, breaded and deep fried risotto balls, stuffed with cubes of FRESH mozzarella. Called Suppli Telephono because when cut into the melted fresh mozzarella stretches like little telephone wires. Use your favorite "gravy" or a bechamel sauce and nappe that on the plate then place two suppli. Best served with one side of plate napped with marinara, the other half with bechamel, one risotto ball on each side. Apologies I do not have a photograph to do this recipe justice. You can make these ahead of time and let cool, then warm on sheet pan in oven at party time... Some Italians also add finely dicecd proscuitto (or ham), some parsley and grated parmesan to make filling stuff into center of risotto ball...

Mis en place

3 C. Chicken Stock (simmering in separate pan)

3 Tbls. Minced Onion
    1 Tps. Garlic
    1 C. Arborio Rice
    1 Whole Egg
    4 Tbs Butter
    1/3 C. Parmesian Cheese
    1 Tsp. Ch. Fresh Thyme

Method:

Sweat onions/garlic in butter, add rice, brown for 2 minutes. Slowly add liquid, a little at a time (1/3 C.), let rice cook and absorb, add again - let cook and absorb again, repeat until liquid is used up. This will take about 20-25 minutes. Then add thyme, S & P, whisk in egg, cook 2 minutes, remove from heat and add parmesian, the mixture should be tight.

Allow to cool, then take 1 oz. scoop of rice in hand and add cubed mozzerella into center of ball and wrap rice tight over cheese (cheese must be inside !!). Pane a la Anglaise the rice balls (that is dust first in flour, egg wash, then bread crumbs).

Use neutral oil such as canola oil which has high smoke point, perfect for deep frying. Heat oil to 330 deg., carefully add risotto balls one at a time, DO NOT crowd your frying pan, and slowly deep fry so outside is a golden brown (that's not burned...) and cheese melts inside. Remove to paper towels to drain.

Manga !!

[​IMG]

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    MMMM You should oput your recipes in the Chook Book look for the stickyu in the recipes section... Man those look good [​IMG]

3. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Found a friend of mine raving about "proscuitto balls" that looked breaded and deep fried that he saw in a restaurant.
    If you have never made these DO IT. And then when you need a really elegant dish to take to a pot luck make these the day before, deep fry them and then let them cool. Refrigerate and take to the party and reheat in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, serve with a marinara sauce on the side. They'll go like hot cakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by