Supplies for Making Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WindyOaksYokes, Oct 16, 2007.

1. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Can you all tell me where you went to get your supplies? I went to TSC... they had nothing and what they did have... OMG... exspensive!!! I'm still a little uncertain of everything I have to have. Yes, Miss Prissy, I did look at your supply list, for some reason, I keep thinking I'm missing something. If you all would be so kind as to help me out, I would appreciate it very much!!!

Thanks.............Tes

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
  3. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Adam - thanks.. I have seen her page... that is the page I am building mine off of. But I need to know where to go to get the items.... what store?!?!?!

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Have to say the bread box incubator from Miss Prissy inspired me today.

I found everything at Lowe's except for my actual box - haven't decided whether to use a cooler or what - I want to scout out what I have around here that I can recycle.

The Acurite hygrometer/thermometers were over in the garden section near the potting soil, etc. They had a non-digital one for $4 and the digital for about $12.

The thermostat was in the section where the water heaters are. I got the 'Electric Lower Thermostat' for $9.

The light adapter is "Portfolio Electrified Candlestick and Bottle Adapter." Found in the aisle where the ceiling fans and light fixtures are on one of the end caps. Less than $7.

Now I just have to go to Wally World or Dollar Tree to find the water wriggler, and find something to use for the main box around here somewhere.....

I maybe should add that it only took me about 20 min to find everything at Lowes. Of course, it helps if you are a frequent flyer shopper there and have the map of the store tatooed on your left forearm... [​IMG]

-S

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  5. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    [​IMG] Thanks arlee!!! And yes it does help when you have a map tatood to your arm LOL... It also helps when you are friends with an assistant manager of the store LOL...

Okay... Lowes it is... one more question... what the HECK is a water wiggler??? does it say "water wiggler" on the package????

Thanks for the help...>Tes

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's on the kids' junky toy wall. Says wiggler, weasel, weiner, whatever. Just a gel or water filled toy.

7. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    LOL thanks Cyn!!!!! what does it do??? DH again asking questions LOL... and honestly I have not clue what it is for or what it does.

8. speckledhen

You put a temperature probe into the weasel and it simulates how an egg changes temps. Air temp changes much faster than the interior temp of the egg so you are not tempted to adjust the thermostat so much if you see the eggs are just fine.
    The orange thing in the picture is a water weasel
    [​IMG]

9. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    DH says thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I say thank you... I wish you lived in my area so that you could come and SMACK him in the head!!!!!!!!!!! He has certainly lost points today!!!!!!! done did made me mad today if you cant tell already!!!!!

Thanks again Cyn... hope you have a great day!!!!!!!

10. speckledhen

Hey, Tes, here ya go, dedicated to your DH, all in good fun, of course, LOL:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by