Supplies for new babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sphillips, Feb 25, 2013.

1. sphillips

sphillips Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    New Mexico
    I went to day to get the supplies I need to get my brooder set up for chicks that hopefully will be here in March. I bought chick starter/grower to feed the babies. Is this the right stuff? It's not medicated, and I'm starting to think I should go back and get the medicated. I did find some small bags of medicated feed, but it was way more expensive, and I'd have had to buy a lot more bags. I picked up 2 20 lb bags to start with, have ordered 25 chicks. I also bought some packets of probiotics and electrolytes. Will these be worth using? I know they get mixed in the water, but is there a time frame to do this with the best benefit?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Your feed store should carry 50 lbs bags of feed. With 25 grown chickens you'll be going through feed. I use a starter grower from hatch to 20 weeks or more- depending on how long the last bag lasts. I don't use medicated feed either.

The electrolyte package will aid the chicks when they first arrive. Shipping can be rough on them so it's good to give them vitamin/electrolytes in water to perk them up to feed. Don't forget to put each of their beaks in water when they arrive, they've never had water before and some don't quite get the idea until shown.

3. Well you have many choices that you can make.

I'll tell you what I personally do & then you can use that info to suit your wishes and directions you'll go.

I do not use medicated feed nor do I want vaccinated chicks. Attrition rate may be higher but the end result in my opinion is a stronger chicken. You can do electrolytes. I will sometimes use sugar in the water but only if I think the chicks need some pep which is basically never.

I give my chicks Fresh water (check it several times a day) Starter (non medicated) 18-20% protein, Heat lamp and clean bedding. That's all for the first 4 weeks. And that is all put in a brooder or a big box.

Best of wishes to ya.

4. sphillips

sphillips Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    New Mexico
    The starter I bought is 20% protein, I have my lamps, some electrolytes and bedding. I think I'm good to go. I am just nervous, as I don't remember anything about raising chicks, and want to make sure I do this right. I think non-medicated feed is a good idea also, and didn't get my chicks vaccinated either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by