Supplies List for Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Keisha, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    I am getting chicks soon, we are going to order them tonight, and we should be getting them the 30th or the 7th of May. I'll have to find out exacly when.
    I was wondering what exacly do I have to get? I know the basics, and I think I've got everythign on my list that I will need, but it wouldbe nice just to make sure!
    Thanks

2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Can you descibe what you have?? Your set up?? That might make it easier for everyone to respond![​IMG]

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Also, check out the BYC Home page. There are links there for all sorts of information on what you need and what to expect.

There is lots to read, and now is the time to do your homework! [​IMG]
    Here is an article published by the Oregon State University that may include info you need.
    http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/pdf/pnw/pnw491.pdf

Best of luck with your new adventure, and keep us posted!

4. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    A basic supply list for new chicks is pretty simple. You'll need to meet their 3 basic needs: warmth, food/water, space

Here is a good list to get you going.

~Brooder box/tub/rubbermaid container (we used a large cardboard box that could just be thrown away when done, or added to easily as they grew.)

~Feeder/Waterer (if using a waterer with a rather deep basin you'll want to use some marbles or small- but not too small that they can eat them -stones in the tray so they don't drown.)

~Chick Starter feed (some feed stores call it Grower or Starter/Grower. Stay away from Developers or feeds made for Layers or Meat birds)

~Brooder Lamp and Blub

~Thermometer (test this to be sure its acurate!)

~Bedding (pine shavings are best. Cover them for the first few days with paper towels so the chicks dont eat the shavings.)

~Dimmer Switch (optional, but a good thing to have- See bleow)

Things you DONT need yet:

*Grit
    *Treats (try to avoid feeding new chicks treats. Their little tummies really cant handle them, and they dont need them if they're on a good Starter feed.)
    *Roosts (not for a few weeks)
    *Nestboxes (not for a few months)
    *Coop (if you are brooding them in the house)
    *Outdoor run/pen (they shouldn't really go out until they have some feathers- a couple weeks -unless your weather is very nice- 80s and higher right now)

You'll want to set up your brooder at least the day before they get there so you can regulate the temp. The temp in the brooder for the first week should be 95. Then lower the temp each week by 5 degrees until they feather out enough to move to their coop. You can lower the temp by using a dimmer switch, changing bulb wattage, or raising the lamp higher. I personally use a dimmer switch. Much easier to use and less expensive in the long run.

This should get ya started! Good luck!

5. Keisha

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Can you descibe what you have?? Your set up?? That might make it easier for everyone to respond!

Right now I do not have any supplies at all. Once my list is complete we will be heading for our local farm&home store. Either later today, tomorrow, or Sunday. Whenever we can make it, but Im guessing it will be Saturday.

The chicks will be located either in my basement, or in my heated garage. Possibly somewhere directly in the house though. That has not been officially decided on yet.

I'm not sure what I am going to keep them in, what do you suggest? Either we could make a wood box for them, use a cardboard box, or a storage tub. Or something else possibly? There will be 25 chicks.

What kind of heat lamp do you suggest?

And I"ll check out info on the homepage too, thanks.

EDIT:
    When I was typing my post, you had not yet posted, sorry.​

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  6. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    We raised our 27 chicks up to 5 weeks old in a large cardboard box. Actually, we took TWO large boxes, cut them apart and taped them together to make one really big box. It worked so nicely! And it cost us nothing. We went to a local appliance store and they were happy to give us a few refridgerator boxes. [​IMG]

As far as a heat lamp, you can get one at any pet store (though more costly there), feed store, or farm and tractor type supply store (cheapest here from my experiences). We bought ours at Farm and Fleet. The lamp was $6.49 and the bulb was $4.49. Try to get a red bulb if you can. Make sure they say HEAT LAMP, not normal bulbs. Red makes them less likely to pick at each other.

7. Keisha

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Thankyou, that was the exact store we are going to to get our stuff. Should I get extra bulbs for the heatlamp?

I think I am going to use one large storage tub to start off with, and then put another oone up next to it and cut the one side off and attach them together. Or just do cardboard boxes, when the first tub gets too small. Then when they get even bigger, I think I'm just gonna fence of a little part of my garage, make a wood base to hold bedding, and for easy cleaning, and just use that. Now I just have to clean out the garage. [​IMG]

8. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    4H Kids And Mom.....that is exactly what we did!!! We took several small boxes and Duct taped them together...then we Duct taped some garbage bags on the bottom for the floor....put a screen on the top and "viola' "!!!

9. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Farm & Fleet rocks! [​IMG] Went there tonight to get the Meat Maker feed for the Cornish Rocks we have comin in tomorrow and saw that they had a tub of chicks for sale.... <control yourself...gain control...just walk away....thats it... keep walkin...yours are in the mail....> It was hard to walk the other way. Especially with hearing small children saying "O mom! Look how cute! Can I have one? Please?" :mad:

Anywho, the taped together box thing worked GREAT for us. We used another box cut apart as the floor and chicken wire for the top once they could fly. We even cut holes in the sides and slid a 2x4 through to give them roosting experience in the brooder! lol

10. fleurdelisky

fleurdelisky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    The box is a great idea- we bought two chicks about a month ago and had them in a shipping box with pine shavings. We don't have Farm and Fleet, but Tractor Supply and I think the total bill with feed was 2O dollars. We just finished the coop/run with wire mesh and a modified dog kennel as a coop-not the most attractive set-up, but economical and we can move it around the yard as needed. Good luck and if you are anything like us, there will be many more cute babies in your future![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by