supplimental light on dreary winter days, during normal day hours

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DutchieWannabe, Dec 2, 2010.

1. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    So, I gave in and plugged in a light today, not for heat, not for extra eggs, but because it is just dark outside, and we got so much snow (7" + in 24 hours) which is not normal for us. anways with all the snow and drifting, it all piled up in my run-uncovered- and the ladies cant get out of their coop. (too much snow to even get into the run to clear it out) I am not worried, there is just 4 of them and their coop is a 4x10 garden shed, so they have plenty of room to hang out, but its so gloomy and dark and therefor they are not getting much light inside their coop for the normal day hours and because of the snow they cant get out.

just curious if anyone else gives their ladies some light on dark winter days.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I have a light in my coop. Kinda necessary without windows.

Imp- no snow here though.

3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    No snow here either, but I have a small light bulb in my coop even in the summer for light, because my coop is under a bunch of trees and it's pitch black dark in there.

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    No light bulbs in our metal chicken shed. I have 4 small windows I made with plexiglass and duct tape. It isn't bright,but they can see well enough in the shed.

5. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I supplement with light these days in my barn - seems to be working they are still laying on schedule!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by