supplimenting protein?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Moselle, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    I'm on my 3rd bag of chick starter - I returned the first two (don't ask - got the wrong stuff). I'm so sick of buying and returning chick feed. [​IMG] So, my only complaint with this chick starter is that the tag says it has only 16% protein content. Isn't it supposed to be closer to 20% for the first few weeks?

So, for 7 two-week-old chicks:
    1. Should I suppliment their protein?
    2. With what?
    3. How much per day?

Please keep your comments regarding my complete incompetency in a feed store to a minimum. [​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    All I have ever used is 16%. If you want to boost it, use sunflower meal.

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    If you want to add protein to your feed, you might want to try feeding them some soaked cat food if this is for chicks. For adult birds you don't need to soak it. Cat food has the best type of protein for fowl in my experience. But, I agree with kstaven, 16% is plenty for standard breed chicks. If you are interested in mixing your own feed, and need to know the protein content, and fat content, check out my website where I have a feed calculating program. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Game bird feed is higher in protein. I agree with the limited use of cat food. The 16% chick starter is perfect for your chicks.

5. Luke74

Luke74 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2008
    Las Vegas
  6. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    If you have extra eggs you can boil them some they will mob you for an egg and it will supply some needed animal protien.

7. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Thanks everyone! I'll stop fussing over it. CUDA, looks like you've got a nice set-up there. I love your feed calculator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by