Supply list?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gracejr, Apr 8, 2012.

1. gracejr

gracejr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    Any supplies I'll need that I'm forgetting? We'll be getting the birds as coop-ready pullets 8-9 weeks or older.

Feeder & Waterer - homemade, perhaps?
    DE (Does TSC have this?)
    Shavings (Doing DLM)
    Feed for laying hens - Purnia Layena or Blue Seal maybe?
    Grit/Gravel??

This seems like an awfully short list! Am I forgetting anything? We'll have 6-8 pullets, maybe a rooster. Should I use something else in the nest boxes, or will shavings work fine there?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can certainly make your own feeder and waterer; Google it or do a search here.

I'd buy a bag of grower or flock raiser and let them get closer to 20 weeks before I started layer feed.

I've never seen DE at TSC, but they keep StallDri or similar products, which usually have some DE plus other stuff, good for odors, mustiness, sometimes flies. I won't buy DE (see below.) I keep pelletized lime (agricultural but no dust) and a shaker can of Sevin 5% garden dust. Cheaper and more effective. The lime I've had for nearly 2 years, I think a 40 lb. bag that cost around $10. You only need a couple of handfuls to cut odor, moisture, control flies, and only when your nose says it's time. I sprinkle a little Sevin around, lightly, every month or two. Helps control flies and I've never seen lice/mites on the birds.

Grit, yes, around $8 at TSC; I'd get the smaller size the first time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/478958/eek-de/10

Good luck!

3. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Here are a few *extra* things you might want to add. :)

1. a "Pecker Recker" block, this has a bunch of goodies in it such a seeds, oatmeal and grit. Helps entertain my girls. Approx: $7.50

2. "Nutri grow" poultry liquid. For putting in water, boosts immunity, gives vitamins and overall health. All different sizes of bottles, I buy the 6 oz.... approx $7

3. Wazine wormer liquid... cant remember price lol

4: 10% permethrin liquid, good to have on hand incase of a mites/lice problem 18 oz bottle $20

5: Dust bath materials! Ash, sand, and dirt make a good combo.

I'm sure you will find all sorts of chicken supplies and goodies at your feed store. I go in mine so much it's ridiculous!

Hope this helps!

-Peaches

4. Albanese07

Albanese07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Florida
    I feed my pullets Happy Hens dried mealworms as a treat every day. It gives them much needed protein as well as they've come to expect it at 5 pm everyday! I also give some type of greens every morning.
    Happy Hens Sunflower treats are good too!
    Mine are on Purina Start n Grow until 18-20 weeks when I'll switch to Purina Layena feed.
    Unlimited water too, which I change twice a day.
    I offer Poultry grit in a cup all the time.
    Pine shavings work best with DE sprinkled underneath , works very well for flies/Oder.
    And I use Wazine wormer followed 10 days later by Safeguard wormer. Many posts on here about dosages/ect..
    I'm vaccinating mine for Mereks and fowl pox too.
    That's all I can thnk of! Good luck with your hens!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by