Support your local breeder buy local

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hugojim, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Yep I'm for the small man

2. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    I agree. Plus you get a better quality a lot of times too.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Sounds all well and good except when there are no "local breeders". Many people do not care to deal with roosters either and most "breeders" sell chicks straight run. Easy to say to support the local guy.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Yep, I would is I could find Astralorps. And so many rooster and so few pullets.

5. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    I'm trying my best, and have several of my breeds on order locally, but am still looking for wyandottes and orpingtons of all things!

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Maybe better quality, maybe not. Depends on what you want. I breed birds myself so I definitely am in favor of buying locally when one can, but it depends on what you want and if they are available locally. The bulk of my layer flock are commercially bred sex-links and Leghorns. Not something that can be accomplished on the small-scale. The turkeys on the other hand...

7. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I would agree with buying local chicks but you could risk buying unhealthy chicks, bad quality chicks, or plenty of roosters. Usually local farmers sell straight run and you don't know if they're good quality or not unless you saw their adult birds that they breed. Another thing is if you're looking for a certain breed and maybe a local person does not have that breed.

On the other hand they could be a better quality depending on who you're buying from, they could also have the breed that your looking for. They also could raise very healthy birds. It all really depends on the local person and their birds.

8. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    I usually will sex mine for someone as long as they are not just buying 1 or 2 as it is too time consuming for that small of orders.

9. FlockHappy

FlockHappy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    I like to buy locally just cuz it's cheaper. But if ever I can't find the breed I want, I'd probably order it from a hatchery.
    I just got 15 australorp chicks from a local person. She was selling them, along with many other breeds, for only $1 a piece. I expected that she had tons of chickens with how many chicks she had and how many different breeds. When I got there, she lived in a trailer and had one little shed where the chicks were. Come to find out, she orders big batches of chicks from a hatchery then sells them all. It worked for me. I got 15 chicks for $15. Pretty good.

10. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Is there a breeder association website or something where a list of chicken breeders can be found?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by