Suppose to be a Golden comet or a Red Sex link but possibly neither???

sroy01

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
Alaska
Hello, We got 7 chicks yesterday we ordered from our local family owned store that were just delivered from the hatchery that morning. We ordered 4 Golden Sex links and 3 Red sex links. However, one of the chicks seems to be lighter than the others and has furry legs. My daughter named "her" Lucy, she doesn't have any extra toes or colored legs. None of the others we got are as yellow (they have more reds and amber colors) and they dont have furry legs. She is a little smaller than the others in size and had pasty butt when we got her so unsure if she is just a little behind growing like the others. I've included a picture of her and also a picture of her wing to see if that helps. I'm assuming about a week old almost. Also, we are hoping they didn't make a mistake at the store and accidentally give us a "he" as well. Any help you can give I would appreciate, they had light brahma's on the list as available as well so wonder if she is that. Thank you!!!

Last edited:

It looks very similar to my bantam chick. This pic is at ten days. Still not sure what it is.

Definitely not any kind of Sex Link. I'd say potentially a Cochin Bantam, and given the size and feathered legs almost certainly some type of bantam or another (in which case it would indeed be straight run and so has the potential to be a cockerel).

What type of comb does it have?

they also had rare Cochins delivered the same day as well so maybe it's that. Honestly, I can't really see its comb. There is a tiny little bit of one I think I see but it won't hold still to really look.

Ok so I now know the all yellow one with furry feet is definitely not like others and a possible cochin or something else. However, I had one more in the box that looks different so am now curious about that one as well. Its the same size as the rest but more yellow with a very distinct stripe down its back with the little brown dot on head. They should be about a week or almost a week old now and it is already getting some tail feathers which the others are not yet. Hope the pictures help. Again, I was expected 4 Golden sex links (golden comets) and 3 Red Sex links. Any ideas on it.

Above Picture: Suppose to be 4 Golden Comets and 3 Red Sex links, all yellow one is not as original post above shows.

Peep (daughter named her) has a stripe down the back with little tail feathers starting. Sorry not the clearest picture.

Side view of Peep.

So any ideas if she is indeed a Gold or Red Sex link?
Side view of Peep.

Ok so I now know the all yellow one with furry feet is definitely not like others and a possible cochin or something else. However, I had one more in the box that looks different so am now curious about that one as well. Its the same size as the rest but more yellow with a very distinct stripe down its back with the little brown dot on head. They should be about a week or almost a week old now and it is already getting some tail feathers which the others are not yet. Hope the pictures help. Again, I was expected 4 Golden sex links (golden comets) and 3 Red Sex links. Any ideas on it. Above Picture: Suppose to be 4 Golden Comets and 3 Red Sex links, all yellow one is not as original post above shows. Peep (daughter named her) has a stripe down the back with little tail feathers starting. Sorry not the clearest picture. Side view of Peep. So any ideas if she is indeed a Gold or Red Sex link? Side view of Peep.
Peep does look to me like a Red Sex Link, but with that coloring it is not a "she" but a cockerel. RSL chicks hatch out sexable with 100% accuracy, hence the name. Pullets are red with white highlights, and cockerels usually show as near pure white, and sometimes with red highlights like little Peep here.

Thanks! I'm thinking I may already have a cockerel or two from the 3 chicks I got from my daughters class hatch of other breeds. Can I keep 2-3 Roos with 7 hens? I've never had a Rooster before but I would hate to have to get rid of any.

Thanks! I'm thinking I may already have a cockerel or two from the 3 chicks I got from my daughters class hatch of other breeds. Can I keep 2-3 Roos with 7 hens? I've never had a Rooster before but I would hate to have to get rid of any.

It's not a good idea, generally. The recommended ratio is 8-10 hens per cock, and fewer than that can cause overmating and stress. That said, it will depend on the individual cockerels being dealt with; some will be more gentle and calm than others.

Thank you so much I will see what he others turn out to be for sure from my daughters class. Hoping Peep is the only possible Roo. Thanks again for answering my question!!

Back
Top Bottom