1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suppose to be an Araucana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ewood, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ewood

ewood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    I have a beautiful, 6 week old pullet who is suppose to be an Araucana. I know Araucanas can have all different coloration (at least Ameraucanas), but this one is like a lavender color with gold lacing. I'm wondering if she truly is an Araucana or possibly a Gold Laced Wy? Or maybe something else all together? I know the farm where I got her seemed to get the two breeds confused, which is why I'm wondering. Scarlett is definitely the beauty of my flock, loves to snuggle and is quickly becoming a favorite in our family. Thanks for any opinions in advance.

[​IMG]

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    It is kind of hard to say for sure.

It is not a true Araucana that meets the standard for several reasons, however Araucanas are a bit of a challenge to breed.

Araucanas are to be rumpless and tufted, and meet the recognized color standards.

Your bird is not any of those things.

Now.....

I have been working on the Araucana breed for a few years, some of the birds we have a pretty mixed up color wise.

I have a large pen full of Araucanas growing out behind the house, and there are quite a few from rumpless parents that have tails. The tufting gene is lethal when two copies are on board, so even good tufted parents throw lots of clean faced birds.

Of the gruop we have growing out, I have at least wo birds that look VERY MUCH like your bird.

And they are Araucanas, just not to standard.

Get a good rumpless, tufted bird to breed to it, and you might be able to succeed in meeting the standard over time.

Then again, it might just be an easter egger.........................

You will still get good eggs either way.......

Good luck,

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I am not an expert but the tail feathers are throwing me. I thought they were more rounded at the back in this breed.

4. deineria

deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    She is not an Araucana or a GLW, but she might a mix of those

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    It is possibly a mix of the two. The color looks more like a roo color to me.

A purebred Araucana can come in many forms and colors. Since the original birds that created the araucana were a combination of tailed, rumpless, cleanfaced, and tufted. I get a tailed bird in my flock every once in a while from rumpless parents. They usually are tufted, and I have to ask myself if I want to keep them because the tufts are harder to get than the tails are to get rid of.

I am thinking your bird is a mix, based on the color of the plumage and the leg color looks almost blue which is an indication of white skin and Araucanas should have yellow skin. That is a must. The tufts and rumplessness can be worked towards but the basic bird should have yellow skin.

Lanae

6. ewood

ewood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Thank you for all the responses. It's good to see I'm not the only one confused here, lol. I decided to add a few extra pictures in case that helps.

I don't know if these help determine skin color or not?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone mentioned she had roo coloring, but she not a roo, right?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think she is beautiful and has gorgeous green eyes. She reminds me of a falcon.
    [​IMG]

Ok, one more. Here you can really see what I call gold lacing. Is that the right term?
    [​IMG]

Thanks again, this board is great! I can't believe how chicken crazy I've gotten in such a short time!

Liz

7. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    I'm not adept at posting pics, but I have a very similarly colored EE from Mt. Healthy Hatchery, she's about 6 weeks old. Her body is the same color, but her head is more reddish than yours. The hatchery called her an Auracana, but we know that's not true. I have GLW's the same age and they look nothing alike.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Araucana's have yellow skin. GLW have yellow skin.

Your bird has white skin and is not an ameraucana. It is an EE.

9. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two lavendar Araucana hens and the standard here in England is different from the USA. Ours have tails like the one in your picture, but they also have tufts of feathers on the top of their heads, their ears and their chins. If you go to my blog at http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com, scroll down to May 24 "A blustery day", there's pictures of both of them.

10. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    She definately has white skin and her cheeks look slightly muffy. I would say the person has Easter Eggers and is selling them as Araucanas. I think its a pullet looking at the flat comb. I was thinking the coloring was rooish because of the brown splotches on the wings.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by