1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suppose to have pure Gold Lace Wyandotte, one doesn't have rose comb?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bandm, Jul 14, 2008.

1. bandm

bandm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2008
    Cincinnati
    We purchased 6 pullets at our local hatchery. They were suppose to be Gold laced Wyandottes. All of them have rose combs ecept this one. We actually recieved 7 chicks, we found this out when we got them home. Here is a pic of the one that has a straight comb. Is this a throwback or something?

[​IMG]
    BandM

Our Page

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    pure wyandotte can have a single comb (it does happen once and awhile) just don't use her for breeding!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Actually, you can use her for breeding. Some Wyandotte breeders keep a few single combed ones because their fertility is supposedly better than rose combed ones, or something to that effect. That comb often happens due to their Cochin ancestry. I had one with a single comb, too.

4. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    i was just reading about that in a book,
    rosecombs, the breed that is, they say that the fertility can be a problem and to keep some of the single combs to breed back to up the fertility.
    she is stunning with those green eyes!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  5. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    One of the best exibition lines of Silver Sebrights I knew of back in the 90's would produce a high % of straight combs..These would always have the best type and lacing. breed her, she's pretty

6. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I have a single comb GLW rooster. I thought he wasn't pure until I read on here that it can happen. I just wish he was the pullet that he was supposed to be. Now I have to get rid of him or eat him.

7. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I have a single combed Silver Laced Wyandotte pullet, too. I posted the same question about her a few months ago. [​IMG] At least you can tell your single-combed hen from the others!

8. bandm

bandm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2008
    Cincinnati
    Quote:Why do you have to get rid of him? I don't have any roosters too bad your not driving distance, I would pick him up [​IMG]

9. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    neat to find about the rose comb I thought it was the opposite way!

Joanne

10. wiradjuriwoman

wiradjuriwoman New Egg

Oct 19, 2008
    [​IMG]I have three golden laced, two silver laced, one white and two partridge wyandotte roosters,[​IMG] all single combed and I have no intention of condeming them to death as I have had some beautiful chickens from them.[​IMG]:eek:
    I would not be boasting so as to say I believe my roosters would easily win any show they were placed in,[​IMG][​IMG] as they have colour,style,character and are all so easily handled due to a harmonious raising.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by