Supposed chocolate orpingtons?????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rosetinted, Jan 13, 2010.

1. rosetinted

rosetinted Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    I ordered 6 chocolate orpington bantam hatching eggs, from a choc to choc breeding.

Ebay seller with 100% feedback, usually sells light sussex in both sizes & choc orp banties.

Anyway, 4 didnt make it to lockdown.. but the two that did hatched as these????

Any ideas on what they could be?[​IMG]

I guess I've either been ripped off or the eggs were mixed up when the seller shipped them!? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    IDK but those sure cute. Could it be ( speaking from inexperience with this) they will start to look chocolate when there other feathers start to grow in? They dont look anything like I would expect either....

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They look like buffs. Cute- but I don't think they'll end up being chocolate. Try posting this in the genetics forum- maybe one of the experts can shed a little light.

4. rosetinted

rosetinted Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    Thanks, I'll try that! [​IMG]

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Chocolate genetics are similar to BBS when 2 Chocolate birds are bred together. The only possibilities are chocolate, black, or chocolate splash (which looks blue at hatch). Those chicks are not chocolate chicks. They are probably the light sussex.

6. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:By choc splash you mean Khacki, Right?

7. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:I don't think that is correct. I am sure the choc. the OP is talking about is the sex-linked chocolate. I haven't read up on it for awhile, but I am fairly positive it breeds true. Choc. to choc. should be 100% choc. offspring.

Editing to add- Okay, I went to verify my information. The choc. gene is a sex-linked recessive. In a choc. to choc. breeding, all of the offspring should be choc. Even the dun gene, which is sometimes called "chocolate" in the US (the OP is in the UK anyway), is an incompletely dominant gene so you should never end up with black offspring. Even when heterozygous, you should see that in the offspring.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Are those even Orps? Orps have white legs not yellow.

9. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    Quote:Ummmm, they do???

10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Ummmm, they do???

Yeah... Orps have white legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by