SUPPOSED to be a black sexlink?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dreamer5577, Apr 1, 2012.

1. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    We'll just out of curiosity I was trying out the whole color sexing thing since this little chicken is supposed to be a sexlink.

But...I am confused. Isn't it like...if they have white like this one, it's a male? Because solid black means female?
    Please educate me on this matter.
    Sorry I don't have a better picture....But this little chicken(1week old) has white tips on the wings and a white belly/chest.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    AND if this little one so happened to be a black sexlink mixed with something...how would the color sexing work then? Or would it be like sexing any other chickens...waiting for the egg or the crow?

THanks !

3. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    For a black sex link: if it has a white spot on its head = roo, no spot = pullet. If its a black sex link mixed with something else the color sexing won't work. You can't breed 2 sex links together and make the color sexing work. Since they aren't a true breed, they won't breed true.

4. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    how is this chick feathering in? It sure doesn't look like it was a sexlink!

5. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I don't know what you breed, but it does look like my black sex links. If it is a sex link the males have a white spot on their heads and the females don't. But all my sex link chicks had white bellies as babies. It really does look like my sex links did as chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by