supposed to be a buff

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chansman, Nov 4, 2011.

1. chansman

chansman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    I've been meaning to post this for a while. We got these two out of a straight run purchase from a local breeder. They're supposed to be buff orpingtons...but look more like a comet or something. What do you think?

Also, the other picture if of a pair of RIR roosters. Is it normal for them to have more of a rose comb or is he something different as well?

I can't post pictures yet so I created an photbucket album...sigh

Thank,

http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n537/chansman/

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Definitely not buff orps! They look like red sexlinks (could be comets) to me, although they could possibly be orpington mixes. I'd say that your local "breeder" either intentionally lied to you or doesn't actually know what their birds are. RIR are more commonly single comb, but they can come in rose comb too. But if you got the RIR from the same source as your supposed buffs my guess is he's probably a mix, perhaps with wyandotte. He's pretty whatever he is.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  3. chansman

Mar 16, 2011
    Yeah, he a big pretty boy for sure. He was the only one that turned out this way. Does that hen look correct?

The RIR look correct except for the comb...I didn't realize it was possible for them to have a different one though.

4. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    My guess is that they're both sexlinks. A buff orp hen shouldn't have any white feathers like this hen does in her tail.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Red Sex Links, male and female. No Buff Orpington.

6. chansman

Mar 16, 2011
    Very cool then. The rooster really is a gorgeous boy.

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Quote:Just know that if you breed those sex links they will not give sex link offspring. Most sex links are a one time cross, continued crossing of them results in a barnyard mix or mutt.

8. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    They look like my golden comets

9. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Definitely red sex links. We thought we were getting two buff orps earlier this year... and ended up with two red sex links as well. [​IMG] Not complaining, as they ended up being our best layers.

10. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I don't see any Buff Orpingtons there. Like everyone else, I see Sex Links. The Rooster is a handsome boy whatever he is, doesn't look like a RIR to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by