Supposed to be a silkie roo, but pretty sure it's something else, any idea?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SchrodingersCat, Mar 26, 2016.

1. SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat New Egg

Dec 22, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I got this as a chick, he was supposed to be a splash silkie, but smooth feathers came in and he is sort of a jerk (very mean SOB), does not have silkie temperament...does have feathered feet, so maybe a mix with something? Anyone have any ideas?[​IMG]

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    looks like sa silkie to me.

3. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    It is a Silkie mix. :)

4. SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat New Egg

Dec 22, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    ok, thanks, he does his job, so far every egg has hatched (only replacing my egg layers that are too old, not selling chicks because i can't say he's pure silkie), but he is SO mean and aggressive, someone who raises chickens at work suggested he might be polish, but really had no idea since they only have orpingtons and not a lot of interest in other breeds.

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    agreed, Handsome fellow!

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Polish don't have feathered legs. He's a Silkie mix (maybe with Polish) or could possibly be the product of someone's Sizzle project.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

He's a silkie mix. Mixed with what, who knows.

Temperament is inherited, so I wouldn't be breeding him. I wouldn't want a bunch of mean temperament birds running around.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Mixed breed.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    mixed breed - there is NEVER a good reason to keep a BAD roo. The market is glutted with roosters needing a new home - mainly because most folks aren''t allowed to keep roos. And many people realize they don't need one - unless they hatch or sell fertile eggs. Hens are a lot happier without roos and will continue to lay just as many eggs - tho infertile ones.

It's a buyers market - often there are beautiful, good tempered cockerels/roos that are show or breeding quality for very reasonable prices and sometimes free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by