Supposed to be an Ameraucana...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hebertchick12, Jul 29, 2014.

1. hebertchick12

hebertchick12 Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    Raceland, LA
    My husband got 3 Ameraucana chicks from the feed store. But one surely does not resemble the others. He said they were mixed with some production reds... is that what we got by mistake?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is her between the other two Ameraucanas.
    [​IMG]

2. abserbean

abserbean Songster

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    It looks like a straight comb and yellow legs in the pic, an Ameraucana or Easter Egger should have a pea comb and blue or slate colored legs. I'm not sure it's a production red, b/c that description can mean many things, but it doesn't look like an Ameraucana for sure.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Could be production Reds or Easter Egger mixes ...feed stores pretty much sell only Easter Eggers, birds that hopefully lay colored eggs and are usually mixes with some Ameraucana or Araucana blood... since they are mixes they can pretty much look like anything. That chick, and the darker chick on the left both look like potential roos, both have a lot of pink comb for youngsters and thick legs.

4. hebertchick12

hebertchick12 Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    Raceland, LA
    Sorry, the darker chick in the second picture is a BLRW with a single comb. The third pic is all Ameraucanas (or EE's, guess I should say).

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will just wait it out. I never realized how impatient I am until I started raising chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by