Supposed to be Australorp, but isn't. What is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RaeRae2, Mar 6, 2012.

1. RaeRae2

RaeRae2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    In my MMH order, there were supposed to be 3 Black Australorp. The packing slip said they included 1 free extra Black Astralorp. Ok, no problem. Except that now the chicks are 11 days old, and 3 of the black ones are all identical, and very clearly Australorps. But this fourth black one is different - and has feathered legs!

The other black ones that are identical have very distinct creamy colored undersides, and definitely no feathers on the legs. They also don't have the white barring on the wings, but have white wing tips.

I am sure that I identified who was the mystery chick because it was a single chick unlike any of the others, but now this one is unlike any of the others also. So did they give me TWO mystery chicks??

So what is she/he?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    cochin or cuckoo marans

3. RaeRae2

Nov 28, 2011
    Ooooh thanks! Either one of those would be great! [​IMG]

I wonder why they put 2 free rare chicks in there. The packing slip says they included a free extra Black Australorp, but that can't be right because this one looks nothing like the other BAs.

And the other one, the best I can tell is a Gold Hamburg. Or a Buttercup, but I am thinking Hamburg.

4. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a dark Brahma to me [​IMG] If you go to feathersite.com and look in the chicken category there are photos of the chickens and chicks. Might help you figure out what it is [​IMG]
    Whatever it is, it sure is cute!

5. RaeRae2

Nov 28, 2011
    Well, I did order a Dark Brahma, and a Light Brahma, and none others with feathered legs. And here are the two feathered legs ones I received. Since they look almost identical, I thought they had sent me two Dark Brahmas, and skipped the Light one.

So in summary - I ended up with THREE feathered leg chicks, and I only ordered TWO with feathered legs.
    [​IMG]

6. chickee

Those two are not Brahmas. The heavy feathering on the legs down into the toes makes me think they are Cochins.

7. RaeRae2

Nov 28, 2011
    When I google search "Dark Brahma Chicks" there are about a thousand pictures of them that look exactly like my two chicks. The chick pictures on MMH's website shows the babies with heavily furred legs also.

But yes, anything is possible! LOL

8. RaeRae2

Nov 28, 2011
    I went on feathersite.com and there are chicks on the Brahma page that look identical to mine, and they call them Dark Brahma. So I am curious why you say they are not Brahmas.

9. chickee

Hmmm . . your right. They sure don't look like the Brahma chicks I had. Well, it will be interesting to see what your mystery chick turns out to be [​IMG]

10. RaeRae2

Nov 28, 2011
    That's what gets me about these baby chicks from hatcheries. They can look so different but be the same breed. LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by