Supposed To Be Barred Rock, I Have Doubts - Help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mosey2003, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    I bought four chicks from a guy that breeds quite a few different birds. I want Barreds so I can breed sex links down the line. These birds I got are......interesting. They're all supposed to be pullets. They're all very aggressive. My Buff Orps hate them. Two have white legs, two have yellow. The one in the front there has brown splotches you can kind of see in the photo. Supposed to be three months old in that photo, I've had them a few weeks and now I'm seeing solid jade green/black feathers in their tails and wings. They also all seem to have small spur buds, too. Obviously, they're a poorly-bred *something*. Bad Barred Rock? Maybe some Cuckoo Marans thrown in? He has a lot of different colors of Orpington, too. Could it be a real con job and they're actually just male sex links?

Any ideas? I think maybe one of them is a pullet. Maybe.
    [​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Need pics including heads. The one in front "the lighter one" is a cockerel, and just going by color "and if they are pure BR'' the other three look to be pullets. But full body broad side pics are best.

3. Mosey2003

Apr 13, 2016
    Headshots would definitely be difficult. These things never pause for a second! And they're mean :-/ I'll see what I can do.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe an assistant could hold them for you since they won't stay put. If they are so aggressive, do you really want to keep any of them?

5. Mosey2003

Apr 13, 2016
    I really don't want to keep them, and I don't think I will. They're going to my friend's house with a much bigger coop to grow out until butcher weight. But I'm really curious to see if anyone knows what they might really be.

6. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like BR's to me.
    I have 5 BR hens and they are very good girls.
    I am so sorry that yours are not very nice.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  7. Mosey2003

Apr 13, 2016
    Here are some from today. Please excuse the photobombing Buff Orps, lol!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Mosey2003

Apr 13, 2016
    Any thoughts on gender? The one with the crooked comb is the only one I'm fairly sure might be a pullet...

9. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    The oddly colored chick is a mixed bred cockerel. I can tell it is a cockerel by the patch of red/orange on his wing. That is a male only trait.

The other's appear to be part barred rock, or extremely poorly bred barred rocks. Their body type, faces, and coloration seems a little off for real rocks... even most production rocks sold by hatcheries look better. I have to agree, it appears that you have at least 2 - 3 cockerels in the barred batch.

10. Mosey2003

Apr 13, 2016
    Thank you!

At least one of the dark one has some brown, too. The guy that sold me these got VERY defensive when I asked him why one was so white.

I found a place that has the nice Imperial 'Ringneck' Barred Rocks in IL and the lady is going to try to get me a dozen hatching eggs later this year, so that will be better :) I'm going to take these little monsters to my friend's to grow out and butcher. My Buffs will be so happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by