Supposed to be Barred Rock, your guess?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by harvey, Dec 3, 2008.

1. harvey

harvey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Hello,

These two 6 wk old(hens?) came from a bin marked Barred Rock. They came from Estes Hatchery. I'm thinking they are Black Australorps. Your guess? Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    For sure they are not Barred Rocks. They might be Black Australorps or Black Jersey Giants. Hard to say. I have had both and as chicks they look very much alike.

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've seen quite a few pictures of young australorps with the white feather in their wings. That's my guess...

4. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Definitely not barred rocks, but they are cute!!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If the bottoms of the feet are white, I'd say Australorp; if they are yellow, Black Jersey Giant. And I think one of them is a cockerel.

6. The look like my New Jersey Giant at that age. They are realy nice birds and they get REALLY big.

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Like everyone else, I agree they are not barred rock. I have never had Giants, but my Australorps have a green sheen to their feathers in the sun light. I don't know if JG do. If not that could be one way to tell.

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:This isn't always accurate for hatchery stock. Best way to tell the difference is the giant will eventually grow larger.

9. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I would guess astrolorp also, one pullet and one cockerel.

10. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Ditto on the feet color. We raise both Black Australorp and the Jersey Giants. The feet of the Australorp will always be a whitish pink to gray and the Giants feet will be yellow on the bottom. Yours are both Australorps. They both look very similar in color but the Giants eventually outpace the Australorps on growth and size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by