1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Supposed to be Black Jersey Giants..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by quailbabies, Feb 20, 2016.

1. quailbabies

quailbabies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    Hello, I bought two "sexed" chicks from the local feed store. They are supposed to be black jersey giants but I am noticing gold feathers coming in around the neck of one of the chicks. The chick with gold striped feathers has black bottoms of the feet and the other one has yellow bottoms of the feet. What do you guys think? They are about 2 and a half weeks old. The bottom picture shows what looks like white lines on the feathers in person they are golden colored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. quailbabies

Apr 30, 2015
    heres another picture that shows the gold more[​IMG]

3. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    They might be black sexlinks.

4. quailbabies

Apr 30, 2015
    Thank you. Yeah, I just checked their chick schedule for that week and they had back sexlinks there at the same time.

5. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    You're welcome. And if they are black sexlinks, then they're both definitely females.

6. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Yup, definately black sexlinks. Jersey Giants would have had a lot of white mottling on their faces and undercarriage. (see image).
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by