Supposed Western Rustic - Anyone Else Have One Like This?

BYCforlife

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Mar 18, 2017
Canada
I bought 25 Western Rustic broilers from Miller Hatcheries. She's smaller than the others, (I kept her when the others went to the butchers) and looks nothing like them. Here is a list of the other breeds Miller Hatcheries has:

Cornish Giants
Red Sussex Cross
Red Rock Cross
Rhode Island Red
Miller's Brown Leghorns
Millers White Leghorns

None of these breeds look like my hen either. Thoughts? Pictures below.

IMG_20170801_192252.jpg

As you can see, she is in the middle of the picture below....
IMG_20170713_161757.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170801_192239.jpg
    IMG_20170801_192239.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 21
I don't know what she is....she looks to me like a buff Orpington or something, but they don't sell those. But she does have a little different coloring on her neck.
Thanks! Yes, she does look like it.

I wonder if Rochester Hatchery is another division of theirs? They sell Buff Orpingtons. I'll look into it. ;)

I bought 25 Western Rustic broilers from Miller Hatcheries. She's smaller than the others, (I kept her when the others went to the butchers) and looks nothing like them. Here is a list of the other breeds Miller Hatcheries has:

Cornish Giants
Red Sussex Cross
Red Rock Cross
Rhode Island Red
Miller's Brown Leghorns
Millers White Leghorns

None of these breeds look like my hen either. Thoughts? Pictures below.

View attachment 1111770

As you can see, she is in the middle of the picture below....
View attachment 1111771
Hi, I ordered the western rustics from Miller this year as well (2020) and I got several that look like your girl, but bigger, I assumed they were the females. Males are all the multicolored ones in your picture. I did get 2 odd ball looking chickens however. You have multicolored females? What year was this batch?

Hi, I ordered the western rustics from Miller this year as well (2020) and I got several that look like your girl, but bigger, I assumed they were the females. Males are all the multicolored ones in your picture. I did get 2 odd ball looking chickens however. You have multicolored females? What year was this batch?
Hello! This batch was the spring of 2017 hatch. I think it was just a coincidence, as I have had about 300 more Western Rustics since then, and none have looked remotely like the hen in the picture. The hens only look slightly different, with more golds and whites compared to reds and whites on the roosters.

Back
Top Bottom