Suppossed to be brown leghorns???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BarefootMom, Jun 30, 2011.

1. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Okay last spring I ordered 25 brown leghorns from Cackle...23 of the definetly are brown leghorns, but 2 of them look WAYYYY different and I have never seen a chicken quite like them. These are both pullets I am sure- they are 12 weeks old.

They are flighty and fast like the BL but...

ummmm [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what d'ya think? I think they have some Brown Leghorn in them, hence some of the feather patterns, but but but I have never seen any chicken on here look like these 2. Do I have strange chickens or what? I have thought about email cackle and asking them...

and for comparison- these are my Brown Leghorns:
    [​IMG]

2. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    hatchery SS maybe

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    oooh thank you. I just looked those up and they do look exactly like my chicks! I guess it is hard since they all have that chipmunk look when they are small [​IMG]

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Look like speckled Sussex to me.

5. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    they look very similar to my SS

6. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    They look exactly like my two speckled sussex did at that age. I wish I could post pics for you to compare to, but my computer crashed a month back and took all my baby chick pictures with it. And for some reason I don't have any pictures of them downloaded.

I think you'll really like them. Mine are always under foot looking for a handout and every SS owner I've talked to has said the same about theirs. As adults mine aren't very flighty, but they were as chicks. Yours will probably mellow out some as they reach point of lay. They don't lay like leghorns, but I can't really complain much about mine. They consistently lay a medium (1 3/4oz) light brown egg each almost daily. The only thing I'd change about them is the size of their eggs, but their wonderful personalities make up for their egg shortcomings.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Speckled Sussex! I absolutely love the SS breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by