Suprelorin and eating eggs, is it safe?

allthechickens

Hatching
May 22, 2016
Hello

Around 6 months ago one of my hens received the Suprelorin implant to force a molt and give her a break from laying to help prevent any future problems with reproductive tract disorders due to a 2 year interrupted laying cycle.

The implant worked perfectly and she started to molt the next day and ceased laying just up until a couple of weeks ago.

Does anyone have any information or knowledge about the safety of the eggs she now lays after the Suprelorin implant is completed? The vent advised me that it is not approved for use in chickens and can't be consumed for food.

But given that the hen won't be eaten for meat and that the fact that she's laying eggs means the hormone implant is no longer present in her system, then the eggs should be free from any hormones.

Does anyone have any further information on this?

Welcome to BYC. I don't have any experience with Suprelorin besiedes reading about it's use to cause chickens to stop laying eggs, as well as it's use in other animals. I looked it up, and the drug info says not to use it in animals used for food. It can be passed in the milk of other animals. I would say if it has worn off, it probably wouldn't be a problem since it is out of her system. You probably haven't gotten many answers to your question, simply because most people haven't used it. Most drug companies put the same thing on most drugs that are used in chickens.

Back
Top Bottom