Suprelorin Implant for pet hen with no current issues?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Reinsaway, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Reinsaway

Reinsaway Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    McMinnville OR
    So my little pet hen Radagast (avatar) is my pride and joy, and is often a source of comfort with a recent unfortunate diagnosis of lupus. She is the smartest bird i have ever had, and I love her to death.. which is why i want to make her life as easy as possible. I heard about the Suprelorin implant through an article on ex-batt hens, and helping them to live longer, and I was wondering if you guys thought it might make her life a bit easier.

Her laying habits are what worry me as to her long-term health. She lays almost normal sized eggs as a bantam (just about 2lb) Every day with almost no breaks, and even laid 2 in a day on two seperate occaisions (I know some say its biologically impossible, but there were no other birds to lay an egg under her) Watching her lay is painful.. she stands sraight up, all poofed out, grunting very heavily. Recently, she has had a habit of laying some weirdly shaped eggs with very thin shells (Im now feeding her eggshells regularly)

What do you guys think? Do you think it would be a worthy 3rd birthday gift for her in november to stop having to work on making eggs?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    She may just be laying funky eggs because she's getting ready to go into molt.

Have you done a search....looks like there's quite a few thread on the subject.
    Advanced search>titles only>Suprelorin Implant

3. Reinsaway

Reinsaway Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    McMinnville OR
    I have read the other threads, but they are all for hens with major issues, not just keeping a pet from laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by