Supreme Parrot Mix okay for our girls?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bockbockbock, Aug 9, 2008.

1. bockbockbock

bockbockbock New Egg

Apr 26, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    After looking through the great suggestions on treats, I went out to hunt for stuff. I found a bag of very yummy looking parrot mix, with hulled seeds, oat rings, grains, dried fruits. I did buy it and the chickens LOVE it - but I worry because I know they'll eat whatever I give them.

Has anyone tried a parrot mix for treats?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'm sure there is nothing dangerous for them in the mix. As long as you feed it as a treat and not a replacment for their normal feed, I think you'll be fine.

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    I haven't tried parrot mix,but once I've given mine parakeet millet that was vitiamin treated.The stuff had colored millet in it & you can only imagine what their poops looked like the day after. [​IMG] I've never seen such colorful poops in my life.

4. bockbockbock

bockbockbock New Egg

Apr 26, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Thank you for the reassurance! They do love it, I only give a 1/2 cup a day. They eat what they want from it and leave the rest for the squirrels. [​IMG]

Right now they're enjoying watermelon. I had to try that, it sounded amusing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by