Suprise flock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by flocking nuts, Jun 14, 2016.

1. flocking nuts

flocking nuts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2016
    Homestead, Florida
    We recently moved into a house in an agricultural area, and was thrilled that we would be able to get chickens. Workers at the avacodo grove on the othe side of the fence found a hen on a nest right on the other side of the fence. I thought she just got there since we hadn't seen her, and the dog didn't seem to either. Not expecting her to hatch anything soon, and because I expected her to take them back home (wherever that is/was) we went to the feed store to get our flock. We got 6 chicks; 3 black austrolopes (2f/1m) a white leghorn, a Rhode Island red, and a light brahma. That night the hens eggs start hatching. 10 eggs hatched. The last was late, and she was out foraging with the other nine. It was a stormy day, and the chick was shaking, so now we have 7. I dont know what she is or her chicks. The chicks might be too young to tell, but im not even sure about mama.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Just from the little I can see, she looks like a game... or a game fowl mix... they're supposed to be one of the best broodys there is...

3. flocking nuts

Jun 13, 2016
    Homestead, Florida
    Does this pic help?

[​IMG]

4. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Game fowl mix

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

She's a game mix. Some areas of Florida have quite the feral chicken population, and that's what a lot of them seem to be. The chicks are a mix of whatever momma is and whatever the local rooster(s) is/are. So basically, they're feral game fowl.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    game flock mix, and her babies are adorable.

7. flocking nuts

Jun 13, 2016
    Homestead, Florida
    Thanks! She is much friendlier than I expected a bloody hen to be. She'll already eat out of our hands. The one we adopted has a brown stripe down its back, but her chicks are some of the cutest I've ever seen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by