Suprise, Suprise, Suprise!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by L&Schickens, Nov 13, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I was given a bunch of hatching eggs last week or so and one of the cartons had eggs from a barred tailed Japanese Bantam hen was sitting on. My friend told me he did not know how long she had been sitting, but they might hatch. So I brought them home and candled them. 6 showed something going on in them and the rest were clear. So I reluctantly put 6 more eggs in the incubator. I have had such bad luck with hatching eggs this year, I really didn't want to try any more. I only checked on them and turned them a few times. I didn't check on them at all yesterday, although I thought about it.
    So this am, feeling guilty about neglecting the tiny eggs, I checked on them. There in the incubator were 6 cute as a bug chicks. They were almost completely dry and so I put them in a brooder and gave them some food and water. They were hungry little buggers.
    So, now I have 6 more japs in my flock. Just thought I would share. I guess they do better sometimes when you ignore them. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    They are so pretty. I cant wait until spring when I can get my bator going. Congrats on such beautiful babies.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Congratulations to you! [​IMG] I know you had to be so excited to see them in the bator all hatched out! They are just adorable! [​IMG]

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Congrats..they are to cute! [​IMG]

5. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Congrats!!! So glad you had a good hatch. I have to agree, sometimes I think we fuss over them too much. Maybe next time, I'll ignore mine a little more, lol

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    What cuties !!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Aaaawww [​IMG] Cuties!!!!! Congrats! [​IMG]

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    that is awesome and you barely had to wait long!!! All 6 sucessful hatching yay!!! I wish we all had that much luck hehe!

9. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Thanks!
    I was quite suprised they hatched. But glad too. I have spent a small fortune on hatching eggs this year and have 1, yes one chick to show for it. So, 6 is good for me. [​IMG]
    They all look short legged too. I know that is good and bad, but don't know enought about Japs to know why. I will have to ask about that. [​IMG]

10. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Eep! At the risk of sounding like just another girl who gets carried away with emotion over tiny things . . . they're so cute!
    Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by