SUPRISE!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenaddict, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I was out back by the chicken coop and run today burning a huge brush pile... when i reached the bottom of the pile i was raking up the small twigs to burn in the firepit and i discovered a nest with 9 eggs in it. The past few weeks or so i have been wondering why im only getting 2-4 eggs a day if that 4 eggs is a good day, guess i know why now LOL. I haven't a clue how long they have been sitting there and there is not one broody hen in the bunch altho come to think of it my light brahma bantam has been hanging out back there quite a bit lately and she was squalking at me while i was back there cleaning up. I left the eggs there but the brush pile i burned was sitting on top of the nest. I really went overboard with babies this spring so i wasn't wanting any more. Not sure if the eggs are even any good, some aren't looking so fresh but nothing stinks so far. Should i leave them there and see if one of the 6 laying hens sets on them or do you think i should just toss them?? I am sure i can find new homes for the chicks once they hatch and get a chance to spend time with their mama. I just dont have the space to set up yet another brooding pen... My garage houses 14 chickens already and the coop and run in back have 10 most of the ones in the garage are still babies yet aiting until they are a bit bigger to go out with the rest of the flock.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Well, I don't think an open brush fire is makes a good incubator [​IMG]

I'd just throw them out unless you really want the chicks....

3. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I should throw them out they are probably no good anyway, but at the same time i kind of want to see how it plays out. Maybe ill just wait a few more days and see what happens ... as of right now noone is laying on them. LOL @ brush fires not good incubators.... the fire was quite far away from the nest with the eggs i just had to drag it all away from the run and to the firepit thats when i discovered they had burrowed under all the brush and dug a hole in the dirt for the nest then they covered it with leaves and debris so it wasnt visible unless ya took a rake to it .... Sneaky lil hens they are lol

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  4. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    Man, your hen was sneaky! Try candling them to see if anything is going on inside.

5. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I candled them and not a thing going on inside. We had a pretty hefty storm the other night and it looks to me like they were once sitting in water that must of seeped under all that brush. Oh well im sure they will just find another hiding spot for me to discover. Makes egg collection like a scavenger hunt everyday [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by