Suprised this morning

luckycluk

Songster
9 Years
May 31, 2014
Salisbury/Faith
I sure got a surprise this morning. I went out to check on my feathered friends and both groups I had in a look but don’t touch setup had mixed theirselves together and all were getting along :yesss:. I have 7 pullets and 1 cockerel that are 14 weeks old and 5 that are 9 weeks old. A week ago one of the 9 week olds got over with the older ones and made herself at home so I let her be. This morning they were all getting along. I was going out to put a under the bed rubbermade container for the bigger ones that is like 4 inches deep and a old roasting pan for the other side to put a couple inches of water in each, which I did . I sprayed the run down and put frozen water bottles in all the 2 waterers. I checked thru the day and all seems ok. I kept the divider up but bent the wire fencing back enough so the littler ones can go back to their side if they need or want to. We are still going to get started on making a bigger run that attaches to the run we have now to give them more room. I also ordered the gravity water cups to make an additional waterer withe 5 gal bucket and I have ordered a no waste inserts for two more 5 gal. Buckets to make two more feeders. When we get the additional run space built im going to add some “clutter” to new run. I’m going to leave divider like it is for a day or two and then take it down the rest of the way in add some clutter like old swimming pool ladder and a few things. Sorry so long of post . Thanks for reading it all. I have been so stressed out trying to figure out how to get them to get along:ya

We’ll I may have gotten happy a lil to quick :idunno when I went out this morning all the smaller ones but the one that’s been over for awhile with the bigger ones had went back to their side and was huddled together🤷🏼‍♀️. They acted frightened the bigger ones came over to their side but did’nt peck at them we stood there awhile and made sure they came out and ate and drank from their own feeders, they seemed like they would only come out and eat n drink while I stood there standing guard I’m going to put some clutter on both sides this afternoon. Amazon should be delivering the no waste inserts for the 2, 5 gal buckets and I’m going to make the other gravity waterer with the third bucket.
I need some opinions from the more experienced people here do you think I need to leave them be , they can both go back and forth. I know I need to make sure the lil ones have a chance to eat and drink. I’ve never intergrated to groups before. Is this part of them sorting out the pecking order? I feel bad when I see all the littler ones huddled together. I’m such a softie. I don’t want to undo how far they’ve come on their own. I’m hoping the lil ones will become used to the bigger ones. Yesterday they were all together eating and all mixed together:confused:. Any suggestions, encouragement would be so welcome. I was so relieved yesterday evening after we checked them n they were still getting along. I wonder if when it was time to roost for the night something didn’t go good ???

The older ones eat first, drink first, and get the best of everything, but if they're not harassing the youngsters and preventing them from taking a turn then it's OK.

Do you have feeders/waterers shielded so that a bird at one can't see a bird at another?
When it cools off we are going to put more up we have two feeders on the big ones side and a one on the lil ones side along with waters on both sides but I am going to slide a small pallet in front of feeder/ waterer on lil ones side and maybe a swimming pool ladder and a couple more things. I kinda think I just need to let them be then and watch and not interfere unless bad bullying starts. My grandaughter that’s 14 reminded me this morning that I need to give them a chance to work it out that I need to quit interfering as long as no one is getting hurt. At 14 she may be a future chicken farmer lol. I think like you suggested , have feed n water that they can use without the older ones can see so I make sure they can get to eat n drink. I’m waiting for Amazon to deliver the no waste feeder inserts and to make another gravity water bucket too. Thank you for responding. I know what everyone means by Integrating them is stressful . I will be so relieved when they are one big happy flock of sweet egg layers. I just haven’t did this before so I’m stressed out.

Normal for chicks to huddle together for safety, and for hens to sometimes guard resources like food and space.

Agree with the others, as long as the chicks can eat and drink at some points in the day, and aren't being attacked to the point of injury, you can let the birds sort things out themselves. Your 14 yr old granddaughter is spot on.

I know your (softie) heart well, I have one too, but the others are right, they have a whole social structure we don't understand or fit into. As long as it is just little tussles, I have to let them work it out.

If a chicken gives a nasty look at a duck, or moves to peck one, then I intervene because the ducks don't defend themselves or when a hen is prevented from eating or perching then I step in.

But they will always need to work out the hierarchy, and we don't get a vote. You can still count your success, as this is just a little pebble in your shoe.

Back
Top Bottom