Sure broke in the barn

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckfarmer1, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    So, we’ve been working hard on our 3rd barn for months..heat, electric, water, feed room..plus we have many animals so it have rabbits on the walls..then goats and pigs on the other end..ducks gets get grand central station. Yesterday morning we put them in because we had gotten a good bit of snow overnight and, I just thought...let’s use the barn. We got them set up and had to go for the day. Got back and...whooooo...!!! Those 43 little quackery sure stunk that place up fast! I said to Chris...are you mad about the real hardwood cherry we put down...he looked at me like I was ridiculous..because, obviously that’s what’s going to happen! Lol. But, they love it and we smashed open some pumpkins for them too! Yum

2. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    I didn't know they liked pumkin. Uncooked?

3. Raenh

Raenh Free Ranging

Jul 29, 2017
    Tomball, Texas
    Yes uncooked or cooked to soften it more :)

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Ducks stink to high heaven and definitely dirty birds. I have 5 Ducks that smell the worst over all my livestock..:tongue

5. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    My ducks made more mess but the chickens but the chickens smelled way worse. The chickens kept the pen cleaner too with all their scratching

Not that either smell that great

6. Raenh

Raenh Free Ranging

Jul 29, 2017
    Tomball, Texas
    I dont like the smell of any droppings, but I still think over humans, cats, and dogs - ducks do not smell near as bad as one of those three!

And seriously easier to clean and get rid of the smell.
    My girls get dirty in the mud, take a bath <on their own in stock tank> before coming in the house. Fancy was the only one that seemed to like being dirty BEFORE I got him the stock tank and baby pools - then he was never dirty unless he raped and plundered in the mud, but even after that he'd dive in the pool to clean off.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  7. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    Both ways...smash them open and they love it..just like watermelon..they eat the rind and all, like all squash

Raenh and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    I left Chris alone on the farm for the first time..overnight,...I’m a bit of a never wreck..I know he CAN do it..but will he love them like I do??

Mama_Owl_3, Raenh and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

Only time will tell ;)

Mama_Owl_3 and Raenh like this.
  10. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    Well.. I’m home..all is well and YES. he loved them just as must..he was so sweet to those ducks and all of the animals. We had freezing issues. So he went out in the middle of the night and changed waterers since we didn’t have those prepared yet..good man

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: