Sure, I can help, but I don't work here!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Stacykins, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Does anyone else get mistaken for employees at stores, when you definitely don't work at the store?

I seem to have a chronic case of "appears like employee" most everywhere I go. All different places, such as pet stores, feed stores, hardware stores, walmart, grocery stores, and office supply stores are the places I can remember off the top of my head. Today was no different. It happened at Menards, twice! I wasn't wearing anything similar to employees, either (who wear blue shirts/vests), but just a pair of tan cargo pants and a green shirt. Someone once told me it was because of how I held myself, that I looked purposeful. I just shop with a mission in mind, no browsing really. I will help the person if I can, or direct them to an employee if I just saw one.

I don't mind it, I just find it kinda funny really. And I bet I am not alone!

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I've gotten mistaken at Areopostale once when I was 15 or 16 yrs old. To be fair, I was annoyed with all the clothes thrown around so I was folding them.

I get asked if I know where something is in TSC a lot, but I think I just look like I belong there.

3. peepdaddy

peepdaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Wolfe co.
    This is a different but somewhat similar situation. Kids seem to be attracted to my wife. They approach her in different locations (beach, amusement parks, cruises, stores, and others) and ask her permision to do things or for her help. I tell her it's because she looks like a kindergarten teacher! I guess they see her as approachable and safe?

4. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    I get that all the time. In Lowe's Home Improvement, Petsmart, craft and office supply stores - seems like I'm always fielding questions. :D

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, happens regularly. The last time it happened (in Walmart), I had my 11-year-old daughter tagging along with me - is she invisible, or something?

6. Nitrous

Nitrous Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Tonight, at the grocery store, I had to reach WAAAAAYYYYY into the back of the cooler, to get a whipping cream quart, on the top shelf. I am 6'2". As I put it in my cart, I saw a woman about 5'3" looking at the top shelf.

I said "If you want whipped cream, now's the time to ask. If you wait till I walk away you will be 'Oh... sir.... well, maybe I can reach some next week.'." She laughed and said no thanks.

I love to see the old lady looking up at something on the top shelf. I'll stop, look at her, glance up at the thing and look back at her.

"Could you? I just can't quite..."

"Of course." :)

7. Nitrous

Nitrous Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Sometimes I get the opposite. At Home Depot, I get "Can I help you find anything sir?"

I wear beat up, faded, holey Carhatts. Do I LOOK like I need help in a hardware store? I could tell you what aisle I am on, by the smell! :)

8. Northwind

Northwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    Yorkshire
    I've had that happen to me before, which is odd as many people mistake me for someone a lot younger than I am. I suppose they think 16year-old look'ers tend to work in those sorts of places. It's usually the older folk, I find those is the younger generations, including myself, don't tend to ask for help so much. And anyway, I don't think it's much to do with manner of walk, as I tend to subconsciously shrink into any crowds I find myself in. :caf

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  9. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    So, where are guys like Nitrous when this ol' lady has to GET HER OWN LUMBER at Lowe's, or wherever? Sometimes one of the employees will help, but most of the time it's just me climbing up the racks to fiddle down the 2 x 4's, or wrestling 4 x 4's onto the cart. Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to look like you know what you're doing! [​IMG]

10. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    What I encounter is that after I wrestle the lumber, cinder blocks, 50# bags onto my cart and drag it to the cash register, some sweet young cashier will ask "do you need some help with that?". This grumpy old lady usually replies "Thanks, but you're a little late! Coulda used the help 10 minutes ago."

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by