1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sure is quiet here tonight

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BusyBlonde, Mar 29, 2012.

1. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    I had wayyy too many roosters - 17, and although we usually butcher them for meat my DH has been working 12-15 hour days lately. Fourteen of the roosters were 4-5 months old, and keeping them with about the same number of hens was just asking for trouble - not to mention the crowfests that were starting. My neighbors hadn't complained, but it was getting on my nerves, so I listed them on Craigs List.

A man offered to buy all of them for very close to what I was asking for them individually. He came and got them this afternoon. It is really quiet now. The two roosters we still have (T-Rex and Butch) are being awfully quiet, the 15th rooster was one of their flock (a year old) and I think he was one of the most vocal roosters. I can hear the birds singing, the drone of the borer bee that patrols over our deck, even my puppy as she turns in her sleep. I have 17 more chicks that I just hatched, so I guess we'll have some quiet for another five months. then let the competition crowing begin again!

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Well, it's good that you were able to sell your roos.
    And enjoy the quiet . . . for the next 5 months.
    We just processed all of our roosters and it is so QUIET that I am now looking for a rooster.
    I want some backyard eye candy, so I'm thinking about getting a Black Copper Marans or Barnevelder.
    I would enjoy a Light Sussex, too.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by