Sure Sign of a Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by david00580, Aug 21, 2010.

1. david00580

david00580 New Egg

Jun 27, 2010
    Virginia
    Hey yall, I am new at this and im not a 100% sure how to tell if my "pullet" is a rooster. We got her from our feed store where they said they were all pullets but she has a darker larger comb then they other girls. We have 3 that might be roosters but not sure, I know some one is crowing, just not sure who. Its too upseting to give them away because they are my babies. I just need some help to find out whats a sure sign of a rooster, so i can save some heartach. Thanks a bunch !!!!

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The best way to tell roos is.... post pics. There are BYC roo experts around here. [​IMG]

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Pictures would definitely be helpful!

The crowing is a pretty good sign - though not foolproof.

You didn't say how old they are, but it sounds like they're close to 20 weeks? You will probably be able to tell a lot from the hackle feathers and saddle feathers. On a roo, they'll be pointy.

How soon did your "pullet's" comb become large and red?

Again, pictures, would be great!

4. david00580

david00580 New Egg

Jun 27, 2010
    Virginia
    Thanks yall, I will get pictures post tomorrow of them. The standard RIR that I was told was a pullet that I have the most questions about is 19 weeks today and she developed her reddness about maybe 3 weeks ago when the other girls like her are a little red but not like her.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Check the tail to see if the top tail feather is longer, & bends down over the other feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by