1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Surge Milker Vacuum Pump Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bigredfeather, Feb 3, 2010.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have found an old school 30 or 40 lb Surge milker for sale at a good price. I am wanting to use it to milk our goats. The milker doesn't come with a vacuum pump. I can't seem to get a clear answer as to what would be the smallest pump that would make it work effectively. The person selling it had a large pump on wheels that could run several milkers at once, so he is unable to tell me what the minimum size should be.

Here is a pic of it. It appears to be in great condition and well maintained.
    [​IMG][/img]

Does anybody have any reccomendations as to what size would be sufficient?

Would a Oil equipped, 6 CFM, 1/2 HP, Single Phase work?

Thanks.

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    You are better off to go larger than smaller. I can't tell you what the minimum would be. We just used cow equipment on our goats. By the way, the surge milker is going to need a little modification to work on goats. Easy to do. PM me if you like.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Any idea what would be the minimum? I am trying to get up and running as cheap as possible and vacuum pumps can get expensive fast I have discovered.

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I've heard of people using those 1/4 hp portable pump with the handle on top, or just hook it up to the intake manifold of your truck...

I use to hang out at this forum:

http://familycow.proboards.com/index.cgi

They have a whole Milking Equipment section where people will be able to help you out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by