1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SURGERY COMPLETED, IT WAS A SUCCESS!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redwa, Aug 30, 2007.

1. redwa

redwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2007
    The surgery was a success for my chicken with the impacted crop. Turns out she has been ingesting feathers...???[​IMG] Has anyone ever heard of this? She is up and alert and they are going to start her on some food pretty soon. I feel like we made the right decision. Now we have to see if her crop returns to its normal function. Thank you all again for your kind concerns and words of wisdom. It helped.

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I am so happy for you and your baby. [​IMG]

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Congratulations on a postive outcome.

If she's eating that many feathers you might have to do something to up her protein. I've run in to problems with Purina feeds that have only soy as a protein source. I've since switched to a feed that has animal protein with very good success.

4. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Congrats and heres hopin to a speedy recovery for the lil one.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Add some cat food to her diet and that might curb her feather appetitie. Lack of manganese can also be a issue so add some black sun flower seeds too.

7. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Terrific !! [​IMG] Hope she has a quick recovery!

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Awesomeness!!!!
    That's so good to hear.

9. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Excellent! I was thinking about her earlier today.

10. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I was thinking about her too. The whole day while I was cleaning my house these three threads kept popping in my head. One...wondering how she faired during the surgery, two...the chicken vent thread and three...how to get chicken poo out of your carpet. I'm so glad to read that she made it through the surgery like the trooper that she is. I was going to suggest the cat food myself. Best of luck to you and that very lucky baby that is loved so much by her momma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by