Surgery for sour crop?

Sae

Songster
Jan 7, 2020
Ontario, Canada
So i have a hen that has sour crop. She was sluggish for days... squishy crop and the smell from her mouth. It seemed to be getting worse. I got her to puke a bit but i was sure she was going to die. I took her to the vet. They gave her painkillers and mineral oil i believe .. she has seemed like shes a little bit better since.. does a lot of sitting and a little eating...but is actually moving around .. scratching and even came running when she thought i had treats... i of course have not given her treats. but she went to bed an hour early tonight which is so unlike her. Her crop is full and squishy again... i will check in the morning. Any suggestions of things i can try? The vet said if things dont get better she may need surgery. I trust him and he is a farm vet. But couldn't give me the price of the surgey as he has never done it. I think most farmers would cull the hen. I am not a good farmer. Lol shes my baby. Im wondering if anyone has done this or knows approximately what it would cost so have crop surgery on a hen??
I have read to give my hen oil.... how do i make her eat oil?? And should it be mineral? Vegetable? Olive?

I did a crop surgery on one of my chickens and it prolonged her life by about a year. As for the cost, i was quoted a couple hundred dollars so thats why i opted to do it myself. He might charge less if you're friends. I didnt check the links above me but if you feel confident in him and the price then let him do it. Chickens are surprisingly resilient...

Oh, and I like to use coconut oil because it's solid when cold. They eat it like food.

Or I'll get a small piece of it and let it warm on my finger until it's soft(ish), and then I just scrape my finger off on their beaks. They eat it then.

Actually, that's how I give antifungal cream, too. Just scrape it in their beaks. Super easy.

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone. I got her into the vet but she passed away later that day. Ive never lost a hen to illness before. Definitely tough. The vet said he would do a necropsy free of charge to find out exactly what caused this. It seemed nothing would work on her. She would get better for a day or two and then back to not so good. Again. Thanks for all your help. Very very much appreciated

I'm sorry for your loss. 😟😢 I recently lost a chicken after she had slow crop. I thought she had recovered, but then she died suddenly in my arms. I think they get things like that when they just become too weak to go on any longer. Chickens are not very strong creatures. You didn't do anything wrong.

I'm sorry for your loss. 😟😢 I recently lost a chicken after she had slow crop. I thought she had recovered, but then she died suddenly in my arms. I think they get things like that when they just become too weak to go on any longer. Chickens are not very strong creatures. You didn't do anything wrong.
Im so sorry that happened:( jeesh its heartbreaking. Thanks so much❤

Back
Top Bottom