Surgery on Monday

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by MomtoSyd&Emma, Nov 12, 2009.

1. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    I am 35 and for about 8 years I have been battling horrible veins in my left leg, I have even had blood clots in them, well FINALLY I went to a new DR after my DH got into it with my old one.

Anyway I went for my initial exam about a month ago, and the new DR actually started cursing when he saw how bad my legs are and that I have been going to the dr about this for years, they cant just laser the veins because they are so bad that the laser cant get through all the "rivers" at this point. So he is going to have to laser some of the vein, chemical inject some of it and physically remove a portion of it.

I am TERRIFIED, I do not like any kind of surgery, I am one of those people that only goes to the Dr when I HAVE to.

I have 2 small girls, 2 dogs, a cat, 8 rats, 6 chickens, 4 birds, fish and a DH.

The DR said I would be fine after surgery, the nurse said no she wont, she will feel like crap and need to rest. UGH UGH UGH

Has anyone else had this done? Any hints tips or advice?

I cant stop worrying, I havent slept an entire night in over a week, my stomach hurts, I am crying at the drop of a hat. I am soo bummed,

2. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Some nurses like to make the worst out of everything....maybe they will give you some awesome pain meds! I was really scared when I had to be knocked out to get my wisdom teeth pulled. I was so nervous they couldn't put me out because my heart rate was so high.....they gave me a shot of Demerol, and then I was like..."Do whatever you want!" [​IMG] Try not to worry, it is normal to be nervous and think of the worst that can happen. Be glad that you have finally have a doctor who is going to get it fixed for ya...and a hubby who goes to bat for ya....and that you can actually have this done......it's a gift. There could be so many things worse wrong with ya....

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Usually they will wrap your legs and you need to follow directions and stay off your feet as much as possible. You will be much happier with the results if you take care of yourself. Make arrangements ahead of time and see if you can have meals made up ahead of time and in the freezer, or stock up on tv dinners. They're not going to kill anybody, even if they don't like them. [​IMG] Stock up on the PB&J, canned soup, and hot dogs. How old are the girls? you would be surprised how much little ones can help with simple pick ups etc, if you explain things to them and get them to help. And don't forget DH can take a few added responsiblities for a little while.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    A friend of mine just had this done. She healed rather quickly and all was well.

5. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    maybe the nurse just said that to try to get you out of doing chores for a while? Good luck everything will be fine

6. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    Thanks you all, it hits me hard that I have to have this done as I am the one who takes care of everyone and I worry about how it will fall apart around here! lol

honestly I would LOVE a couple of days to lay in bed and read a book with out having to worry about the kids/critter and stuff!

7. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    It would really be best to follow the nurses orders!!!

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I had surgery on my legs for vein problems. They even took out the (can't think of the name) valve things at the top of my legs.

I can tell you it was way worth it!
    The nurse is preparing you. It is not a breeze, but you will need to rest and take it easy.

9. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    No advice, just [​IMG]. Happy thoughts. [​IMG]

10. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Yes, happy thoughts for you. Worries are like visualizing the bad stuff that could happen. I know, because I worry!

When the worries are getting you, try to imagine getting through your surgery and healing quickly.......Good luck, and I will send good vibes/prayers for a speedy recovery. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by