1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Surpise baby chick, what to do with it!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Little Chicken Farmers, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Little Chicken Farmers

Little Chicken Farmers In the Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Canby , Oregon
    We had a broody hen that we let keep an egg. We didnt think it was good, not expecting it to really hatch! This morning SUPRISE there is a chick in the coop! Mommy seems to be ok, not hurting it. But I have seen a couple other hens go after it. The mother is trying to protect it but I am afraid it is going to get killed by other hens or our rooster. I dont want it to get hurt. Should I seperate the mama hen and the chick or just seperate the chick by itself? I raised these from chicks but there were 8 or them together, not one by themselves. Opinions PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. katdam

katdam Chirping

May 19, 2010
    texas
    seperate the hen and chick or the others will kill it!

3. Little Chicken Farmers

May 26, 2008
    Canby , Oregon
    [​IMG]

Here is the surprise baby

4. katdam

katdam Chirping

May 19, 2010
    texas
    oooohhhh!! how cute! look at those toes..how cool![​IMG]

5. crazy chook

crazy chook Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    how cute, I love chicks.

Separate them into their own area, otherwise the rooster and other hens will peck it every time it goes near them.

mummy will protect it.

6. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Songster

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Hello,
    Make a brooding area for the Momma and Chick that is separate from the others. We close off our run for the Momma and Chick and make them a shelter to sleep in at night. We used a plastic storage box and put it on its side and covered 2/3 of the opening with a thick towel to keep the breeze out and so it felt safe and not open. Since it was a little cooler at night here I then clamped a ceramic lamp to the box to keep the chill off the air that might blow into the box opening. Though the Hen kept them underneath her for warmth, as they got bigger they didnt fit(we had 12 chicks) and so I wanted to make sure the ones that hung out from under Momma didn't get cold. Good Luck! [​IMG]

7. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Songster

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:Very Cute!

8. Little Chicken Farmers

May 26, 2008
    Canby , Oregon
    Thanks for the quick responses!! I ran back outside and grabbed momma and baby and put them in a seperate cage.....Temporary untill we can fix something up for them. The chick is a cute little bugger... It has one yellow toe on each foot. Yellow around its face. Our rooster is a Barred rock, and we have Barred rock,RIR,Buff Orph,Silv Wyandotte,and Golden sex link hens. WHO knows which hen the egg actually came from. This is really funny though, we were so not expecting it to really hatch. SO next question.....How long do I leave them seperated.....at some point do I put them in with the flock? Do I need to do anything special for the chick? Food/meds? Should I give the chick and the mommy chick starter....or is the mommy going to feed the baby? This is oddly confusing !! Ive never done mommy-raised birds.

9. kla37

kla37 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    LOVE the fancy toes!!![​IMG]

10. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    It's so cute! I fed my broody and chick both chick starter. My hen had gotten really thin while sitting on the eggs so I figured the extra protein was good for her for awhile. My hen stopped feeding/protecting the baby at about 5-6 weeks old. Since it was a small Silkie chick I kept it seperate for another couple of weeks. I would think you could start to introduce mom and chick back to the flock at 4-5 weeks, you just have to make sure the baby has a safe place it can run to if everyone starts picking on it. Maybe you could section off a part of your run with chicken wire and cut a hole small enough for only the baby to get through, that way it can have it's own safe place away from the rest of the flock if it needs it.

Watching a momma raise her baby is the cutest thing I've ever seen. I loved all the little noises she would make to the baby.
    Billie Jo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: