Surprise Adoption! Please help with sex and breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Elsachicken, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Elsachicken

Elsachicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Hiya,

This is Elsa our first chicken. She surprised us when she came through our garden fence when I was hanging out the washing and my daughters were playing on their play equipment. She followed me around and ate some bread and drank water and she was so friendly we decided to keep her until claimed or provide her with a forever home if no one claims. We have bought a coup and run and now we hope you guys can help with gender, breed and possibly age. Not sure if that easy? I guessed Sussex when looking at photos online. All replies welcome.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  2. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Remembering the Forgotten

Welcome to BYC!!!!!
    We're glad you're here!!!!
    Definite hen. And, by the looks of it, Light Brahma standard. Does she have feathered feet? If not, she also very well could be your earlier assumption of a Light Sussex hen. I'd assume she is an adult hen in her prime by the looks of her- 1-2 years perhaps. Has she laid you any eggs yet?
    Again, welcome to BYC!!!! Our birds are all part of one, unanimously-beloved flock on BYC and we can't wait to assist you in any way possible!
    Wings of Wishes,
    ~Sarah

3. Elsachicken

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi Sarah!

Thank you for your lovely reply, she doesn't have feathered feet or legs.
    We haven't had her long and she hasn't started laying eggs. It would be fab if she did though [​IMG]
    She's such a lovely girlie! And the girls are fascinated by her and look to have a stroke.
    Now I have found this forum I will defo keep in touch with it! I have so much to learn and look forward to giving Elsa a friend in a month or two.

4. HeavensHens88

That's great! :D
    Then it looks like your first guess was correct: a Light Sussex hen!
    Do you have any notion as to where she came from? It is quite extraordinary to find a roaming chicken- sadly, most chickens that escape their owners usually become victims of predators or succumb to car fatalities, but Elsa must be special because she made it to you!!!!!! :D
    Please keep us updated on your chicken adventures and how Elsa is getting along with her new family! :clap
    ~Sarah

5. Elsachicken

Mar 4, 2017
    No idea at all where she is from. We are in a very small town in the middle of no where and I posted to the main town's Facebook page and two people replied saying they had all their chickens! So this is a mystery. I think she came from the over the fields from a surrounding village or town but it's miles and miles of fields so could be anywhere!!
    There are no farms all fields are for crops here [​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    What color are her legs? What comb type does she have? If she has yellow legs and a single comb, she's probably a Columbian Rock. If she has yellow legs and a rose comb, she's a Columbian Wyandotte. If she has white legs and a single comb, she's a Light Sussex.

7. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

What a beautiful hen! You're so lucky to have her. [​IMG]

8. Elsachicken

Mar 4, 2017

[​IMG]

Here is a better photo .

Thanks

9. HeavensHens88

Definite Light Sussex! :D :clap Congrats on having such a beautiful little hen!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    she is a lovely girl - something guided her to your home - [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by