1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Surprise babies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greenacresinNE, Oct 9, 2011.

1. greenacresinNE

greenacresinNE Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Papillion, NE
    Vito my Barn-Chicken (she will not live in the coop with the rest of the chickens) goes broody just about every other month so I ignored it when she starting sitting on some eggs recently. But, this time she must have fraternized with the Salmon Favorelle rooster when I wasn't looking, because she had 7 fluffy chicks hatch yesterday! I am pretty sure the Dad is the Salmon Favorelle, all of the chicks have feather legs. Vito is a Sicilian. PICTURES!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]:celebrate:celebrate:weee:weee:ya:ya:ya

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    AWWWW, i wish my sicilian would hatch some chicks. Your mama hen is so beautiful!!!

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Holy cow! I never tire of seeing Mama hen with her babes. Thank you so much for sharing.[​IMG]

4. greenacresinNE

May 10, 2010
    Papillion, NE
    Thanks, she's my favorite! She is one tough little bird too! You should have heard her growl when I scooped her and the chicks up to put them in a cage (I was afraid the ram would step on the babies in the barn, he is a clumsy oaf). She has managed to thrive in the barn with all the big animals all by herself for over a year.

5. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Congrats! We had 7 surprise hatches starting Aug 20th! LOL From our girls and one roo down at our "Green Mile" coop. Out of the lot, I'm only positive about who one's mother is... it's got feathered feet and we only have one (in our whole flock of 40) that has feathered feet (and she's down at the GM coop too).

6. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    here is my sicilian who i wish would go broody and hatch me some chicks [​IMG]

7. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    Gorgeous bird and darling babies!!

8. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Wow - adorable! Made my evening - thanks for sharing!

9. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Congratulations! They are absolutely adorable and I just love that first pic [​IMG]

10. greenacresinNE

May 10, 2010
    Papillion, NE
    CrestedGirl, your Sicilian is beautiful! I'll keep my fingers crossed for chicks for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by